Premed 101 Forums

laptop program

I'm happy to say that I will be going to NOSM West this fall! I was wondering if any current student(s) could comment on the laptop program... Is it required to get a certain laptop, or can you bring your own, without having to pay the $1100/year fee? Also, does the program offer choices? Can you get an Apple computer?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jimmery!

CONGRATS on getting into NOSM! I am on the West Campus as well just finishing my first year, so I look forward to meeting you come August!

To answer your question:

Last year, we were not allowed to opt out of the program because it is set in place so that we all have the same laptops such that providing IT service to our laptops is standard for the IT dept. As well, the laptops we get are guaranteed to comply with the requirements for NOSM and come preloaded with the programs we'll need.

The way the programs works to my knowledge (2nd years correct me if I am wrong) is that you get a laptop (ours this year is a T42 IBM Thinkpad) rental...you get service from the NOSM IT dept situated on both campuses if ANYTHING goes wrong with the laptops. Thank goodness I have only had minimal software glitches! After 2nd year, NOSM recalls your laptops and issues a new one for 3rd and 4th year as well as providing you with a palm pilot. At the end of 4 years, your laptop gets returned again to NOSM.

This is done so that you have a fairly new laptop throughout the program to ensure quality equipment.

We asked last year why we couldn't opt out and the reply was that the laptop fee is not just a laptop fee. The fee also pays for the IT depts work in setting up the technology in the remote placement in first year (which I just came back from today!) and the rural placements in 2nd year, as well as the clerkship year which takes place AWAY from both campuses. So the fee is not 1100/yr for just the laptop...it's also helping to pay for the services we get as well.

Hope this answers your question. If you have any questions or comments about the laptop program OR just are curious about what to expect come August feel free to drop me a line...this goes for anyone with questions :D

Cheers,

LtD :)

Thanks LtD! So is this computer supposed to be used just for studies, or can you load it full of music (I have thousands of songs in iTunes) and photos? I'm just wondering because my current computer is getting old, and I don't know if I should be replacing it, or just use the one coming from NOSM. You know, I think I'd prefer to pay an annual IT fee for service and software (e.g. $500), but have the opportunity to choose my own laptop, providing that it met the technical requirements...

In addition to laptops, are there other preparative things that might be better left for the start of class? I've read through the discussions about choosing a line of credit, for example, and was wondering if financial advisors come to the school to help the students, or are we going to have to do this on our own?

If there is anything else you (or other current students) can recommend new students do to prepare *specifically* for NOSM, please post!

Hi Jimmery,

In reply to your post, I'll knock off each question one at a time:

Q1: So is this computer supposed to be used just for studies, or can you load it full of music (I have thousands of songs in iTunes) and photos?

Once it is in your hands, you can do with it what you will. However, at the end of 2 years, you should probably save all your important info onto an external harddrive so that you don't lose all your songs and pics when you hand in the old laptop for the new one :) So my advice would be to NOT go out and buy yourself a new laptop since you will have to take part in the laptop/IT program with NOSM

Comment2: You know, I think I'd prefer to pay an annual IT fee for service and software (e.g. $500), but have the opportunity to choose my own laptop, providing that it met the technical requirements...

Unfortunately, last year this was not an option. I don't believe this is an option this year either.

Q3: In addition to laptops, are there other preparative things that might be better left for the start of class? I've read through the discussions about choosing a line of credit, for example, and was wondering if financial advisors come to the school to help the students, or are we going to have to do this on our own?

Yes, there are financial aid officers here who could help you establish your line of credit. However, if you are planning on using said line of credit to say pay for moving costs to your assigned campus, or prepare for school by using the LOC to buy furniture, professional clothes, etc... then you'll probably have to set up the LOC before meeting with the financial aid officers at NOSM. An interesting point to keep in mind, the financial aid officers are for advice and guidance only. It is still up to you to go and meet with the various banks and get the 411 on their LOCs and what they have to offer.

My personal opinion (buyer beware) is that you meet with every bank that offers an LOC for Professional Students and see which bank will scratch your back the hardest ;)BIG THING TO KEEP IN MIND: DON'T ACCEPT ANY INTEREST RATE GREATER THAN PRIME (right now it is at 6%)...if a bank is asking for Prime + anything...say "thank you very much but stop wasting my time" and leave...feel free to make that more Politically correct :P

Also, last year, i believe Scotia Bank and RBC in Thunder Bay offered a $500 incentive for signing up with them (i.e. they gave you free and clear $500 for signing with them. Each bank, including the CMA LOC, has different stipulations. The CMA for example will work a budget out with you and will only release a certain amount of money each year to you; whereas, RBC gives you $150,000 up front and expects you to manage your money. So if you blow your money in 2 years than "sucks to be you" :P

I know for a fact that the RBC in Thunder Bay is once again offering the $500 incentive. If that appeals to you and you will be on the TBay campus then feel free to look up Ann Kane...I can provide her contact info if anyone wants (just PM me).

Q4: If there is anything else you (or other current students) can recommend new students do to prepare *specifically* for NOSM, please post!

One thing that pops to mind is that if you wait until school starts, last year we had a group buy for stethoscopes which saved a hunk of cash (~$100) than if you were to buy your stethoscope ahead of time. As well, we also had a group buy for Toronto Notes so again if you wait then your class could do the same and save some cash. Either that or you may find an upper year willing to sell their TDot notes.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll post it up here later. Back to studying for MSK....*procrastination ends here*

Cheers,

LtD :D

Archived