Premed 101 Forums

Mid-month letters

Does anyone know what the deal was with the mid-month letters? I know as stated by a couple people on this forum that they were dated May 1st. I also know of one other person who received a letter last Friday (May 25th). It's confusing because Dal's website says that the last batch of letters was mailed on April 27th (not May 1st), so even being lost in the mail doesn't really make sense. Anyway, I guess I'm just curious.

I emailed admissions last week, and was told that the last meeting was going to be may 28th, and that "the remaining letters will be mailed by the end of the first year in June" but im assuming she meant first week in June. So it looks like we should all find out shortly, although i'm not sure why they did the mid-month mailing. Perhaps they wanted to send the decisions from the second last meeting before they started going through the deferred files?

That's what I assume, because I said I had been deferred, and was wondering if I'd have to wait until the end of June to find out if I was accepted, rejected or waitlisted, and the reply was that the last meeting of the admission committee was going to have been yesterday. So if you haven't heard you should very shortly. Maybe there was some non-deferred files left that they reviewed at the same time, i'm not sure... Here's to hopin good news is (or is about to be) in the mail.

I am in the same boat as Dr?. and also thought the last meeting was for deferred applications. Perhaps our files were deferred in one of the last meetings, but they just didn't bother to notify people. That would make sense to me, it would be a waste of time and paper to tell people they would be waiting for just one more week? I am not complaining though, since compared with other years they seem to be running ahead of schedule a bit. Whatever the case, good luck to all of us still waiting!! The end is in sight now :)

hmmm i think it's weird they didnt notify you. also, deferrals are sent via email - not snail mail so it wouldnt have been a waste of paper. just a standard email. and i also thought the last meeting was for deferred applications. maybe this year they havent deferred as many and they still have some non-deferred applications to go over so they'll do them all together?

Just for the info of the people on the forum, I applied to dal last year, and had still yet to hear ANYTHING after my interview by the end of June. I therefore contacted the office numerous times, until one day I got an email that said "This is the letter we have on file for you.....you have been rejected". It had been dated near the first of April, and this was now the end of June. So if you think that you should have heard something already, keep pestering them, because there is a chance it has been lost. I know of at least four people that still have yet to receive any letter at all from last year (Apparently they were 'lost' in the mail:cool: ??)

Hopefully you guys all have better outcomes though :)

This last post from Trigirl (four from last year that have yet to hear???? I hope they have moved to Plan "B") seems to be evidence that Dal needs to seriously reconsider using traditional mail to inform applicants. I doubt there is an applicant today that does not have, and use efficiently, e-mail in 2007.

Certainly knowing your place on a waitlist is a good point in their favour - using regular mail to deliver results could use some reconsideration.

i just noticed that the website was updated:

"The Admissions committee has completed their file review for this admissions cycle.

Letters of acceptance and waitlist will be mailed by the end of this week. All other letters will be mailed during the week of June 4th, 2007."

so i guess it's official, we'll all know soon enough... oh the suspense!

I had a moment of weakness today and decided to call and find out the deal, since I haven’t heard and was not deferred. I was very worried that my letter had been sent out but lost along the way. I was told the same as biologyguy, and that deferrals were not e-mailed for the last three meetings. So there are some of us in the deferred pile that don’t even know it. Not that it matters at this point, since we are ALL going to hear very soon, I am just relieved to know that my letter hadn’t been lost somewhere…

Archived