Premed 101 Forums

Joining the CMA and LOC through national bank

I was just looking into getting a line of credit and found that by joining the CMA, I can get a "special" one from National Bank that's not open to non-CMA members, even if they are medical students. Maybe I seem clueless, but I wasn't really thinking about joining the CMA at this point - is this something new medical students often do? Thanks.

You automatically get a membership to CMA through your provincial doctors society, which you become a member of when you start medical school.

For instance, I attend Dalhousie so I became a member of Doctors Nova Scotia upon entering med school (all of this happened in the whirlwind that was O-week and I *think* I had to fill out a form...) and through them, I got my membership to CMA. There are no membership fees for CMA if you are a medical student.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

In Ontario at least, when you join the OMA it includes membership for the CMA. I think it is roughly $20 a year. I bought disability insurance so I get $12 refunded each year which are my OMA dues (I think). In no ways, is membership necessary although it allows you to vote (it helped when there was the vote for clerkship stipends). ;)

Archived