Premed 101 Forums

I am a quebec resident and i am a student at mcgill. I know basic french and am trying to improve it definitely. I would like to how the CRU syster works for all the three french universitaire.

the link on the laval university doesnt work. can anyone tell me how does it work comparing it mcgill scale out of 4 and someone who is in engineering.

Weeeelcome to the wonderful world of CRU, where nobody answers your questions!!!

This is probably the most complicated system ever used by an university as an admission criteria. Let's try to... but first, here's the link to the page (in french) where they explain how it works at University of Montreal. You can assume that it works similarly elsewhere.

Basically, when you apply at any french university in Quebec, they calculate your CRU. You cannot get it before you apply, they won't give it. This score takes in account the strenght of your program, so that a GPA of 3.8 will be worth much more in med than in social sciences. They also take in account your group averages, so that your 90% will be worth more if the average was 60% instead of 85%. Also, for the same average of, let's say, 60%, they will give you more for your 90% if everybody else had a result close to the average (this is all statistical basics : mesures de dispersion, écart type, etc.) So, the whole thing gives you a score on 50. If you get over 35, you're pratically in wherever you want.

Now, there is no possible equivalence between GPA and CRU. Even worse, your CRU changes with time (because it takes in account the actual program strenght, not the strength of it when you did your courses), so that your GPA of 3.8 can be worth a CRU of 32 this year, and 33 the year after.

If you need any point of comparison, I know a guy that got in at UdeM after a bacc. in engineering at Polytechnique Montreal, with a GPA of 3,57 on 4.

And for the learning of french, I suggest that you try applying to the federal program that is called Xplore, which gives you a bursary for a 5 weeks french immersion. Here's the website.

http://www.jexplore.ca/english/program.html

Hope that helps!

Archived