Premed 101 Forums

Working after graduation...Not good for medschool

I really hope this is a rumour that it is better to stay in the academic realm when you apply for medical school.(I really wanted to post this in the Toronto Forum coz it was from a friend at UoT) Hence, if you have graduated then you should go on to do a Masters instead of working. Apparently, you are in a different pool from all the other students if you have started work.

Is this true ?

I really hope this is a rumour that it is better to stay in the academic realm when you apply for medical school.(I really wanted to post this in the Toronto Forum coz it was from a friend at UoT) Hence, if you have graduated then you should go on to do a Masters instead of working. Apparently, you are in a different pool from all the other students if you have started work.

Is this true ?

It really doesn't matter that much. It all depends on what's best for you. I know a bunch of people on this board who took the school route and others that took the work/travel route and still got in. Just make your gpa is up there so you don't have to do a master's or extra year to make the cutoffs.

Is this true ?

I completely disagree with that. In fact, it should be the other way around depending on your situation. Once you start your Masters (or Phd), your file will be evaluated differently. Your academic work during undergrad will not be looked upon as heavily and you will need to "start over" and keep an outstanding graduate work record. So if you already have a decent GPA from undergrad, don't go into grad school unless research is what you really enjoy. You are not in a different pool from all the other students if you have started work. Rather, you are in a different pool from all the other students if you have started graduate work.

Lastly, this is a note to all undergrads out there: don't think research is the way to impress admissions. Go out there and gain some life experience. It's really a shame to see ppl in med class who thinks research is the only way to go and all they can talk about is research research research. Those ppl get singled out pretty quickly, so don't become one of them! Think about it, if you were on admissions, would a lab rat impress you?

Archived