Premed 101 Forums

Private schools discouraging international applicants?

I was under the impression that private schools for the most part just want the best people, is this not true?

I was browsing the case western reserve medical school and icame across this

Does the Case School of Medicine accept international students?

The School of Medicine will consider a candidate from an institution outside the United States if he/she completes one or two years of science coursework in an accredited four year college or university in this country (Canadian universities are acceptable) and demonstrates the ability to perform well in the United States academic environment.

Since the number of qualified applicants from the United States alone is over twice the number of places available, international applicants generally are not encouraged to seek admission to U.S. medical schools. Of the 16,648 students enrolled in freshman classes in U.S. medical schools in 2004 only 1.3 percent were non U.S. citizens and most of these students had permanent resident status. Historically 1-3 international students matriculate at the Case School of Medicine annually. Note should be paid to the limitations on resources available for financial aid to students who are not citizens of the United States., Most medical schools, including the Case School of Medicine, require proof of payment up front for 2 years . International students often take loans to cover costs, and these must be cosigned by a US citizen. This does not always pertain to Canadian students

Does this apply more to applicants who are non-canadians? or is it directed to canadians? is the discrimination against international students purely financial? I dont think that this school selects in state students only since they mention that 77% of matriculants are OOS

I e-mailed them and mentioned having done my HS and undergrad in the US, and the person from admissions who responded was very friendly and in no way discouraged me from applying. However, she explicitly stated smth along the lines of "especially considering that you completed your education in the United States."

I think they just wanna get the point across that if you can't pay, don't bother applying. Some schools will even have you show proof of funds before you can matriculate. They just need to make sure they don't end up wasting time and other resources interviewing someone who'll never be able to afford to go.

I e-mailed them and mentioned having done my HS and undergrad in the US, and the person from admissions who responded was very friendly and in no way discouraged me from applying. However, she explicitly stated smth along the lines of "especially considering that you completed your education in the United States."

I think they just wanna get the point across that if you can't pay, don't bother applying. Some schools will even have you show proof of funds before you can matriculate. They just need to make sure they don't end up wasting time and other resources interviewing someone who'll never be able to afford to go.

So assuming I somehow 'demonstrate' that i can fully afford to fund the education without having to take out any loan im in the clear and on par with everyone else?

generally international students aren't welcomed at most US med schools.

some private schools wont' care if you're international, some publics will take international but they don't like you, most publics hate international and won't take any at all.

also, some schools offer "special" consideration to those who completed their undergrad in the US, but you can always find this info on their websites.

________

Volcano Classic Review

Archived