Premed 101 Forums

3rd year with a 1st year course

Guest Hugomax

Guest Hugomax

hi, would med schools frown upon physics (a 1st year course) being taken in 3rd year since i didnt have any room to schedule it into 1st or 2nd year???

Guest booty911

Hey, I have the same problem with my schedule. I will have to be taking intro chem and physics during my second and third year..and second year chem in my fourth due to the number of courses I have to complete for my degree and the terms available for electives.

Guest peachy

It's fine. Relax. As long as you are reasonably working towards a degree, and not obviously padding your transcript with "easy A's", it doesn't matter.

Guest bigbuffblackboy

I e-mailed the five big med schools in Ontario and four of them (U of T seems to take long to reply in e-mails :P ) all said taking a 1st year course in 3rd year is no problem.

Western requires that you take at least three full year or six half year 300 level/third year courses in your third year though.

Guest BlazinKhan

Would you happen to know if in your 4th year Western requires 60% 4th year courses? I'm assuming it'd be okay to take more 3rd year courses since they are still upper year courses and not just for 'easy A's'. Good to know that bigbuff; thanks for the info.

Guest bigbuffblackboy

No problem.

Actually, according to their website, you only need second year and above courses now. I think I was mistaken earlier.

"Three full or equivalent senior courses (second year and above) must be included in at least one of the two undergraduate years being used to determine compliance with established GPA cutoffs."

That's from: www.schulich.uwo.ca/medic...n_choice=2

Guest RoseSmurfette

I don't think it's a problem if it's just one course. This is especially true if you are taking more than a full courseload. What med schools don't like to see is a student taking 80% first-year courses when they're in fourth year.

Archived