Premed 101 Forums

Taking science courses without the OAC's

Guest scalar

Guest scalar

Hi all:

I was wondering if there were any schools that had first year courses in Calculus, Chemistry and Physics for those that did not take the OAC requirements in High School?

Any input is really appreciated!

Thank you

Scalar

Guest Biochem10

I can only speak for McGill, but generally first year university courses do not require OAC, they are aimed for anyone with grade 12 courses, this is because students come from all over the country to go to University, so the courses are tailored for everyone's background.

Guest peachy

Here at York we've got courses in every department that are "OAC-equivalent" for people who have no background in a subject and feel like they need a better background before taking a standard first-year university course. That said, I agree with Biochem10 - first-year science courses generally don't require specialized high school knowledge. They teach everything you need to know, but obviously it's harder if you haven't seen the stuff before.

Guest DrSahsi

There are similar offerings at the University of Toronto. I'd imagine you'll get the same kind of response across the board. Most courses will go over a lot of the OAC content again, but at a faster pace. Having already taken the OAC course in high school puts you at some advantage, but I found my biggest barrier to success in my first year wasn't the content, but that my study habits had to change to cope with a university environment. Having done the OACs just gave me that much less to worry about.

- Rupinder

Guest aneliz

Same deal at the University of Guelph....there are OAC equivalent courses in Bio, Physics, Chem and Calc. However, you cannot take more then one OAC equivalent for credit in any given degree program...

While they recommend that you have OAC or equivalent to take the standard first year sciences, they do not check...so you can take them without....In fact, at Guelph, so called 'baby physics' (the OAC equivalent) is well known to be MUCH harder then both OAC physics AND the normal first year physics....so take with caution. I have no idea if other schools have similar stories. Best advice: if you can take it at high school for free, why pay to do it at university?

Also, I totally agree with all of the previous comments...the biggest barrier to doing well in first year is not the content but learning to adapt your studying style... if you have seen the content before, it gives you that much more 'wiggle room' to try out new studying strategies without getting completely burned.

Good luck!

Guest peachy

Lol. Are you a science student looking for geneds? Your best bet is to ask at the SOS - maybe there's some info on the website at www.yorku.ca/sos or you can drop by the office in 214 bethune college to talk to upper-year science students about picking courses, etc.

Guest PrincessCooper

I came from BC (no OACs) and took all the regular first year courses at Guelph with no problems. I was slightly behind in Calculus but that was it, and it was all taught again anyway so I came through it quite well.

Though, maybe in BC they teach some of the OAC level information in Grade 12? I found that much of the first year chemistry and physics repeated what I learned in Grade 12.

Guest aneliz

Likely...first year science is largely a review of the last year of high school...at least it was for me. Almost all of the content was covered in the equivalent OAC...and now that OAC's are no more in Ontario, they will be a review of Gr 12.

dont worry about not having the OACs

I took biology, chemistry and physics at York university without any previous backround. it was challenging at first, but it is true that most of what is covered in the first few weeks is review from OAC. Hope that helps!:)

Guest Cloudancing

There might be hope for me! Is there anybody here who went to or is attending UofT who managed to take some of the 1st year sciences without the pre-reqs. I did not think I would enjoy science so I did not take the OACs but now I want to. Does this mean that if I sign up they won't check to see if I have the OAC pre reqs? Is this an "at your own risk" kind of thing? From reading above I understand that taking the OAC is recommended but not exactly required. Right? It just helps right? I don't want to have to backtrack. This has to be true.

Guest muckypuppy

I took first year science classes this year at McMaster. My prereq's were intensely scrutinized!! I took a first year bio course ages ago and they were almost ready to tell me that this was NOT in fact equivalent to an OAC course!! >: >:

I would highly recommend seeking some advice from admissions before you just sign up!

• 1 month later...

Archived