Premed 101 Forums

orgo or biochem? HELP!

Guest adupuis2

Guest adupuis2

Hi,

I'm due to choose my courses for next year and am having a very difficult time deciding whether to take a full year of organic chemisty or a half course in orgo and a half course in biochem.

I know that the latter will fulfill my pre-reqs for most Ontario medschools. The only school i'm unsure of is Ottawa. Could anyone verify?

Also, for anyone that has already written the MCATS, will it be a problem if i have not taken the second half of orgo?

Any insight would be great! Thanks!

Guest UTMed07
I know that the latter will fulfill my pre-reqs for most Ontario medschools. The only school i'm unsure of is Ottawa. Could anyone verify?

Take a look at the OMSAS Requirements Chart and Ottawa's undergraduate medical education page.

This document (http://www.medicine.uottawa.ca/pdf/policies_2002-2003.pdf) suggests you need two full year courses in two of the following:

(a) general biochemistry

(B) general chemistry

© organic chemistry

Take a look and verify this information for yourself. As an applicant it's your responsibility to know the requirements and rules.

The way I read it a half course in biochem and orgo don't (along with a general chem--which I assume you've taken) fulfill the requirements. IMHO this is a bit strange. If you also think it is strange but feel half-half orgo-biochem would be more useful give Ottawa call or email them at admissmd@uottawa.ca and ask whether this is really so.

Archived