Premed 101 Forums

Confused about UofT weighing formula: lowest grades or only from first year dropped?

Hi Everyone,

So after much searching of the forum and reading the UofT website faq, I am more confused now then I was a few hours ago about the UofT weighing formula. Anyway, on the UofT website it says: "GPA will be calculated eliminating one full-course grade per full year of study. Students applying after completion of three years of study will have their lowest 3 full-course equivalent grades removed from the GPA calculation, after completion of four years, their lowest 4 full-course".

Okay, so I read in a few threads that your lowest mark for each year gets dropped, but from what I'm reading above it sounds to me that your lowest 3 or 4 marks throughout your entire undergrad gets dropped. For me this make a big difference, since, as many others have, I bombed first year. So my question is, does your lowest mark from each year in your undergrad get dropped, or do your lowest 3 or 4 marks throughout your entire undergrad get dropped? And um sorry if this was in another thread; I searched but I couldn't find a clear answer.

Kind of off topic, I as well "bombed" my first year. I am wondering though, how does everyone else describe "bombed"? I.e., what were your marks? Cause I got a 77 average, 3.19 GPA, but I was just wondering if everyone elses description of bombing was better or worse than that..

I have heard of people bombing the first year quite bad, well below the 3.0 mark, and still made it into med school. Those people took advantage of the weighting formula of each med school. Take Ottawa, which looks at your last three years only.

Kind of off topic, I as well "bombed" my first year. I am wondering though, how does everyone else describe "bombed"? I.e., what were your marks? Cause I got a 77 average, 3.19 GPA, but I was just wondering if everyone elses description of bombing was better or worse than that..

I did poorly in my second year. I wouldn't say I bomed it though. I had a 69 in one class...but my average was still 82/83 I think because I had taken 15 classes that year over the two semesters. I think it was still 3.7 gpa that year though.

Well for me, 'bombing' was a 3.15. And at least I have hope for UofT since they'll drop my lowest 3 or 4 marks depending on when I apply :)

Also look into Queens and UWO. Their weighting formulas may be an advantage for you.

Archived