Premed 101 Forums

UBC guarantee for residency

What is the minimum number of electives that have to be done at UBC to guarantee spot at UBC? I am weighing the pros and cons of diversifying my risk and booking equal electives at my top 3 or 5 schools, but I really want UBC. :cool:

What is the minimum number of electives that have to be done at UBC to guarantee spot at UBC? I am weighing the pros and cons of diversifying my risk and booking equal electives at my top 3 or 5 schools, but I really want UBC. :cool:

Um, I don't think that you can ever guarantee anything. You could go to school at UBC AND do ALL your electives at UBC and there's still no guarantee.

Your best bet is to look at the elective requirements for the program you are interested in on CaRMS. In most cases, programs are looking for someone who completed a 'broad range' of electives. Schools such as U of T 'suggest' that you complete an elective there more some programs such as Internal Meds.

Check out CaRMS!:)

Hi,

I agree with the above: very rarely are you ever guaranteed a residency spot at any university (although I have heard of it being arranged, but in very few instances). There are some schools which, tacitly or not so tacitly, require electives at their centres before an interview will be granted. UBC has been known to be one of these schools in terms of a few residency programs but you really need to speak to the folks who are more up on this to figure out whether this applies to your specialty of interest, i.e., residents and/or faculty.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

For sure there are no guarantees, maybe guarantee was too strong a word to use. Better to do electives in programs that you, of course, want. For UBC programs I imagine it is nearly a prerequisite to do at least one elective to be considered competitive.

A couple of issues re: guarantees. I think this does happen, I have heard stories where in some competitive programs PDs have actually called up students and strongly indicated that they should rank their program high. Not so subtle. Or a little wink-wink, nod-nod. How often, who knows...

On a related topic, for those who have interviewed, what exactly do you say if you get an interview to a program where you have not done an elective, but may be still interested in going there (and have completed 4 months elsewhere)? Of course no one expects you to do electives everywhere (not feasible, not affordable) but what is the approach to this, are you ever really taken seriously? Again, probably depends on the site but for those who have done this, how did it go...

Archived