Premed 101 Forums

have you taken these electives?

Hello,

I am having a really difficult time deciding what electives to take this year and thought I would seek out some opinions. Has anyone here taken IHHS 200(Understanding the Sociocultural Determinants of the Health of Populations), IHHS 400 (Health Care Team Development), IHHS 401 (Health Care Ethics), ANTH 227 (Culture, Health, and Illness), CLST 301 (The Technical Terms of Medicine and Biological Science), or ENGL 301 (Technical Writing)? If so, can you please name the prof if you remember (to see if it's the same one still) and how good he or she was and also how useful/interesting (you can mention easiness, but it's definitely not the most important factor) you thought the course was as a whole? Also, if there are any other great courses out there that you've taken, lower or upper level, I would love to hear about it!

Thank you! MUCH appreciated :)

I took CLST301, and found it very useful for recognizing medical & scientific terminology. I can't remember the profs name, but it's really not necessary to attend the lecture. All you do is memorize definitions of parts of words (ie: cardi, heart, logy - study of) and the computer tests (5 of them, equally weighted) will ask you to write out the word for "the study of the heart" (cardiology). It's an easy A+.

I took IHHS200. If Dr. Frankish is still teaching it, definitely take it. Our class average was 90, and everyone got A's. I found it to be super interesting and useful as well.

As a part of the course, instead of doing the midterm and term paper, you can do a community service project and write about that instead. Dr. Frankish is a really great guy too.

I took IHHS200. If Dr. Frankish is still teaching it, definitely take it. Our class average was 90, and everyone got A's. I found it to be super interesting and useful as well.

As a part of the course, instead of doing the midterm and term paper, you can do a community service project and write about that instead. Dr. Frankish is a really great guy too.

I second that. I got a 99 in that class:eek: And I still volunteer at the two places that I started volunteering at as part of that place (you only have to volunteer at one place, I was trying to pick between the two but decided I liked them both). Dr. Frankish is the sweetess man teaching at UBC. Watch out for his jokes!

Thanks for responding guys. I think I will definitely be taking IHHS 200 and probably IHHS 401 as well. The first term section of IHHS 200 is with Sue Mills and Colleen Reid, but I think I will taking the second term section, which doesn't have a prof listed yet (hopefully it is Dr. Frankish as he sounds awesome!).

These courses sound good.

I had never heard about them in my undergrad. UBC right?

I took Biomedical ethics - philosophy 420 (Number ?). With Joanna Fisher. THat was a great class - I learnt a lot. Not easy to get the 99 though. Low 80's is decent - not a GPA booster. But in my opinion - excellent class.

Also a course like this helps you with writing - do essays. That english class you mentioned - meh. Unless you are a weak writer. Like me, maybe I should have taken that...

anat 390/391 (will get in med though)

phys 300 (will get in med though)

fnh 355 (international issues in nutrition) easy and interesting - i like to travel though

ISCI - Darwinian Medicine - 350 I think!!! Great class. I think they may offer it only every second year!!!!!

ISCI - 320 - field trip to tofino for 10 days in may for 3 credits!!!!

thats all i got

Another good IHHS class is disability and Justice. Takes you through all of the issues from pre-natal testing to community living to end of life issues. A thought provoking class for people wanting to be doctors! Aboriginal health and the role of plants is also interesting. Both classes are small and have a lot of guest speakers. They're a nice break from the huge impersonal weeder science classes.

Archived