Premed 101 Forums

2 Qs

Guest Lactic Folly

Guest Lactic Folly

"Referees should use the assessment forms and not send letters of reference." Yet on the form itself (in teeny-weeny print), it says "On your usual stationery, please comment..." ??

Do they want an extra statement attached to the form or no?

The dates for the autobiographical sketch go up to Dec 2003 - if you participate in a yearly event, would you suggest listing it as Feb 2000 - Feb 2003 or Feb 2000 - Dec 2003 since I am continuing this coming year?

Thanks for any light you can shed on these :) good luck on apps..

Guest MayFlower1

Lactic Folly,

"Referees should use the assessment forms and not send letters of reference." Yet on the form itself (in teeny-weeny print), it says "On your usual stationery, please comment..." ??

Do they want an extra statement attached to the form or no?

My understanding is that the referees must use the assessment forms, however, they may attach additional pages of text for additional comments if they so desire. Although I'm sure you're already familiar with the assessment forms, you can print them out and send them to your referees or, alternatively, you can send them the pdf. I personally chose to send them a hardcopy of the assessment form to minimize their work...also this avoids assuming their level of comfort with computers, etc.

The dates for the autobiographical sketch go up to Dec 2003 - if you participate in a yearly event, would you suggest listing it as Feb 2000 - Feb 2003 or Feb 2000 - Dec 2003 since I am continuing this coming year?

On my the last two cycles I have listed such events from the time the first one occurred until the end of the year, assuming I would continue the activity through to the end of the year. You can also explain the contribution/activity better in the text.

To put this in context, I don't think it much matters how you do it...do what seems logical and, of course, is honest. I believe the learning you took away from such activities is way more important than the duration, etc.

Peter

Guest peachy
To put this in context, I don't think it much matters how you do it...do what seems logical and, of course, is honest. I believe the learning you took away from such activities is way more important than the duration, etc.
Oh yeah, for sure! In my U of T interview, they actually asked me when I had done a certain activity, and I said something along the lines of "If you're asking me the actual dates, then I had to look them up to fill in the application, and I'm not going to rememeber right now..." :) They didn't seem to mind, as long as I could talk about the activity itself.

There's a way to set the date for the activities in the OMSAS sketch to "ongoing", which is what I did for all the activities that I was currently doing.

Guest Lactic Folly

I am blind.. missed the ongoing option completely when I was reading the instructions :eek

ty both for the input!

Archived