Premed 101 Forums

reference letters

so, i'm in a little predicament. i'm in japan on student exchange right and i don't plan to apply to med until the 08-09 cycle. question is: should i get references from my japanese prof here now before i head back home? i've spent a million hours with him doing research on psychorehabilitation, lotsa clinical experience with him as my supervisor. problem is, ubc's my first choice and they have a supplemental form referees have to fill out too. so i'd have to contact him again in the future. do most people out there read their letters of recommendation and have their pick before they're sent?

If you are planning on using a Japanese prof, just be sure that he/she can write english strongly enough. Poor writing can destroy even the strongest reference.

As for reading and picking your reference letters before they get sent in, that kind of defeats the purpose. I know Dalhousie specifically asks the writer if a copy of the letter was given to the applicant. I expect the reference carries a lot less weight if the applicant has seen it, as there is a chance that the writer may not convey his or her true opinion. I'm not sure other school's position on this.

The best thing to do is when you ask for a reference, ask the person if they can give you a GOOD reference, not just a reference.

i totally agree with you there. i've just heard of other medical students who have had their pick is all.

hmm...in that case, i don't know how i'd get around this process. i'd like to get him to write me a letter of recommendation now cuz i'm just afraid he'll be less enthusiastic about writing one and/or will have forgotten some great things he could say about me if i e-mail him in two years for a letter. but ubc requires profs to fill out supplemental apps only if i get an interview, and referees have to send directly to the univ - it would be too early!

my japanese professor speaks and writes in excellent english, btw.

Yeah, most Japanese profs do have excellent English writing skills. Most of the time their publications have to be written in English.

Sambie, you can always keep in touch with your prof so that he doesn't forget you in two years. I might suggest sending him holiday cards or even calling him around major holidays to personally wish him well. I'm not an expert on Japanese culture or anything, so I don't know how appropriate those gestures will be in this context, but I do know that they would be okay in Chinese culture.

You can also ask him for a letter of recommendation now for say... your next summer job in Canada. Then, in two years when you need the letter for medical school, since he's already gone through the writing process once, he will still remember your personal qualities and will have a draft to work from for your med school letter.

Archived