Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Exams

Hi,

I've read through numerous posts regarding the MCCQE exams, but I still have some major questions that I weren't answered:

1. What is the timeline (Med 1 thru Med 4) in terms of writing the exams? (ie: in what year do you write the QE I etc. and when should you start preparing for these exams)

2. What are the best study materials used? (I've heard that the Toronto Notes are pretty good, but clearly more supplementary books are needed...any suggestions as to which are the best textbooks to use?)

3. What are some things that a first year medical student (like me) should begin to look into in order to make a strong CaRms application? (ie: activities, research, obviously grades)

4. Also, any study tips/any other advice for a first year med student will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much!!

Hi,

I've read through numerous posts regarding the MCCQE exams, but I still have some major questions that I weren't answered:

1. What is the timeline (Med 1 thru Med 4) in terms of writing the exams? (ie: in what year do you write the QE I etc. and when should you start preparing for these exams)

2. What are the best study materials used? (I've heard that the Toronto Notes are pretty good, but clearly more supplementary books are needed...any suggestions as to which are the best textbooks to use?)

3. What are some things that a first year medical student (like me) should begin to look into in order to make a strong CaRms application? (ie: activities, research, obviously grades)

4. Also, any study tips/any other advice for a first year med student will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much!!

To answer your questions:

1) MCCQE 1 is written at the end of 4th year (May). MCCQE 2 is normally done in the fall of second year residency.

2) I used primarily TO notes and supplemented with other books that I had used throughout my training as well as lecture notes. By the time the exam comes around most people don't spend tonnes of time studying because the volume of material is huge. I reviewed things that I thought were important or that I didn't feel comfortable with.

3) There have been numerous posts on what makes a strong CaRMS application. It is somewhat dependent on the field you want. Pursuing electives in the discipline of choice at schools that you want to attend is important. For some programs research is really important, but for others not so much. Extra-curriculars probably play a smaller role than most people think. Overall doing well in interviews, being easy to get along with, motivated etc is very important. Bottom line for most programs is "Is this someone that I can see in my program for the next X years" or "is this someone that I will regret taking into my program?"

4) Don't try to know everything! One of our profs said "learn what is common and what kills people, everything else can be looked up!" So true.

Good luck!

Hi agregson,

Thanks for your response! It definitely helped clear some things up for me. I just have one more question...I read some where else on this forum that QE I is written at the end of second year. Is this true? Do students tend to write it ealier than later?

Thanks!

I think you might be mixing up the Canadian and American licencing exams. In the US, there is an exam (USMLE Step 1) written after second year. There is no equivalent to this in terms of Canadian licencing exams. USMLE Step 2 is roughly equivalent to and written around the same time as MCCQE 1. Same with USMLE Step 3 and MCCQE 2 (I think).

Archived