Premed 101 Forums

Course based vs Research Master's

Hello everyone,

I'm asking this on behalf of my fiance, who both a lurker on this forum and also decided to embark on the road of medical school!

She graduated with me from UBC eons ago, but now is working a stable job in a different area. She is considering going back to school for a Master's Degree, with the possibility of applying to medical school afterwards.

There are course based Master's Degrees in the UK she is looking at, and research based Master's programs here in Montreal and possibly Ontario.

For the purpose of U of T admissions into medicine, do they prefer a Research based Master's degree over a course based one? I have looked at the FAQ and some of the graduate entry threads but they seem to all focus on one key word: research productivity. Obviously if it's a course based Master's research productivity will surmount to a big fat donut. It does however say in the U of T website that non-research based Master's degrees will also be taken into consideration. Realistically, what are the chances that one will be a competitive candidate?

I believe her undergraduate GPA was not competitive (3.3, weighted 3.5 or so).

Thanks a ton!

Archived