Premed 101 Forums

Change of Plans???

bane

hey guys,

so i'm working on my PS for American schools while studying for the MCAT.

I read on SDN (dont know if its true) that the schools wont look at my application until it is complete with my MCAT scores.

Well, i write the POS Aug 14th, and will receive the scores around Sept 15ish.

So, whats the point of trying to apply now and be early, if I wont even be considered till "late", when my MCAT scores finally arrive??

Maybe that SDNer was confused... cuz now I am. Can someone please clarify? THANKS!

What's the point?

- your AMCAS will be verified by the time your scores are released, which can take up to several weeks

- your secondaries will be completed

- your reference letters will be submitted

basically, all you have to do is release the scores and you're done and good to go on sept 15. If you wait until after your scores come out - factor on additional time for AMCAS verification, chasing down your references, finishing off secondaries etc. Yes or application will not be reviewed until your MCAT scores are released, but at least you can finish all other parts so you're not held up because of something else.

Thanks guys, I knew both of youz would reply. I now see the point in getting my butt into gear and doing whatever I have to do :D

I didnt know AMCAS can take weeks tho. Damn, thats long time.

So, I guess finishing off the AMCAS online application so that its sent in by mid-June is still the best plan right? Is that what you guys did?

When I applied back in 2005 (OMG im so old!) I didnt know about the "early is good" rule so I submitted my AMCAS application in the first week of August. It took 3 weeks for it to get verified. I think officially on the AAMC website it says it can take upto 6 weeks (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If your MCAT scores wont be in until Sept 15, then you don't have to send it in by mid-June. Time it out and make it so that you give yourself enough time to work on the secondaries. Do whatever works best for you.

thanks for the news Madz...

So when you submit your primary AMCAS app, how long does it take before they turn around and send you secondaries? Do you get them once AMCAS has verified your stuff-- so like for you was it 3 weeks after submitting primary, they sent you secondaries?

How long do secondaries usually take to complete? (I guess it depends what style the secondaries are-- like essay vs. just more money.)

thanks for the help.

PS: you're not old.... kinda.:P

yes i also didn't take the 'apply early' rule too seriously.

i took the 'focus on canada' route....submitted amcas oct 16th, verified nov 17th, all of my secondaries were submitted in december :eek::P

i am positive i would have faired better had i applied earlier. its also not worth the stress.

secondaries arrive at varying times depending on the school. i got one or two as soon as i clicked the submit button on my amcas applications. others trickled in as the weeks went by and some only arrived after my amcas application had been verified.

how long you spend on the secondary depends on its format. if there are essays then ofcourse it'll take longer than the ones that just want more money. also, you can spend a long time working hard on the secondary essays or just half a** your way through them to submit them ASAP.

hope this helps and good luck :)

How late is late?

I know it's been thrown around a lot, but I am writing the MCAT this Friday. I was thinking of submitting my applications by the end of July. My AMCAS GPA is about 3.75 (for some reason it's much lower than my OMSAS one) and of course, I don't know about my MCAT (though I'm hoping to improve upon 32O). I'm not super competitive, but at the same time I don't think it's hopeless.

How late is late?

I know it's been thrown around a lot, but I am writing the MCAT this Friday. I was thinking of submitting my applications by the end of July. My AMCAS GPA is about 3.75 (for some reason it's much lower than my OMSAS one) and of course, I don't know about my MCAT (though I'm hoping to improve upon 32O). I'm not super competitive, but at the same time I don't think it's hopeless.

I think you'll be able to pull it off earlier than late July, a41. The AMCAS app isn't that much work if youre giving it your undivided attention. You can prolly do it by mid-July.

Its kinda strange that your AMCAS GPA is lower than OMSAS--- maybe you made a mistake, or maybe its b/c of your school. Dunno?

I dont think youre hopeless either....

How late is late?

Is your AMCAS GPA the one that you calculated yourself using the conversion table or have you actually submitted your AMCAS application and had it verified? I thought mine would be much lower at first but in the end, it was higher than my OMSAS one.

I would consider submitting your AMCAS any time AFTER August/early Sept "late late."

Is your AMCAS GPA the one that you calculated yourself using the conversion table or have you actually submitted your AMCAS application and had it verified? I thought mine would be much lower at first but in the end, it was higher than my OMSAS one.

I would consider submitting your AMCAS any time AFTER August/early Sept "late late."

I used the conversion table to estimate my AMCAS GPA. The difference was 3.86 - 3.75? The OMSAS scale also seems to change slightly every year.

Archived