Premed 101 Forums

Cellphone service

Hey USask Med/Pre-med students,

I was thinking of getting a cellphone and I just wanted some opinions in terms of how good the quality of service is. Sasktel would be the best in terms of least number of calls dropped, but they also happen to have the worst deals (or so it seems).

Could anyone give me their opinions on:

Sasktel

Telus

Rogers

Fido

Bell

?

Thanks!!

I'm interested to know about any deals too as I will be switching to Sask in the next month or so. Also, does anyone know if Sask home phones have the option of VOIP yet?

Thanks!

HW

I used vonage for VOIP in saskatoon and I hated it. They didnt have any sask numbers and the customer service was horrible. Shaw now has their digital home phone in sktoon. I would suggest trying that.

My cellphone plan is through Rogers but I would recommend against going with them. The phone works fine in Saskatoon, but there's serious lack of reception in rural Saskatchewan. I was in the city of Humboldt (1 hour outside of Saskatoon) for my two week experience and had no service whatsoever. It was a pain. There are other weird pockets of no reception too.

Throughout medical school, you are destined to be travelling through the province, so I would recommend that you go with Sasktel, which definitely has service everywhere...unless someone recommends something else.

I was doing some quick comparisons between the big 3 cell providers (telus, rogers, sasktel)

I found that the Telus dealers were more willing to negotiate on the hardware, although I agree Sasktel probably has the best coverage and with specific bundles you might be able to get a good deal. The Telus plans, however, were also quite competitive.

i have to say that rogers has the best phones and prob best plans (if u're good at negotiating)

and also...rogers phone can be used in other countries cuz it uses sim cards ....otherwise u would have to pay long distance with the other carriers.

sasktel defintiely has the best coverage though as frenchfrog pointed out!

i know sasktel offers a student bundle sth like 60 bucks for internet, cell phone, tv...quite good

I have Telus and will be switching to a different company as soon as my contract is done. Digital service is only available within Saskatoon and Regina... venture any distance outside the city and you get terrible analog with many dead spots. Renders my cell phone useless when I'm at the lake. I'm waiting to see what that iphone is like, might switch to rogers just for that.

I'm waiting to see what that iphone is like, might switch to rogers just for that.

I think right now the iPhone is only available in the States, and only through a 3 yr contract with AT&T mobile as well... for $600USD...

As for Rogers, I don't think their coverage will be any better than Telus. In fact, I think it might be worse. Because Rogers uses a GSM networks, they have to build their own towers to service the people in Saskatchewan, whereas Sasktel's CDMA networks is compatible with Telus's CDMA phones.

However, since I will spend most of my time in either Regina or Saskatoon, I figure going with a GSM phone (Rogers or Fido) is better since it can be unlocked and used anywhere in the world (Europe and Asia are all on GSM networks). I wanted to see if GSM gave acceptable levels of signal quality by asking that question on this thread:) .

• 3 weeks later...

Archived