Premed 101 Forums

Gpa

The BCPM GPA is comprised of courses, which are considered to be

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics courses. And compromise of the following courses (see below). AO (all others) is everything not included below.

Biology (BIOL) - BCPM

• Anatomy

• Biology

• Biophysics

• Biotechnology

• Botany

• Cell Biology

• Ecology

• Entomology

• Genetics

• Histology

• Immunology

• Microbiology

• Molecular Biology

• Neuroscience

• Physiology

Chemistry (CHEM) - BCPM

• Biochemistry

• Chemistry

• Physical Chemistry

• Thermodynamics

Math (MATH) - BCPM

• Applied Mathematics

• Mathematics

• Statistics

Physics (PHYS) - BCPM

• Astronomy

• Physics

Source: AAMC Instruction Booklet. Look at pages 76-79

Still a bit fuzzy on what courses will count towards GPA (I've e-mailed AMCAS and got a very unclear answer from them). If you took a statistics course that was under the department of psychology, does it count as a science course under MATH? or does it count as "other" since it's a psychology (which is not a science based on that list)?

I cant edit that post to elaborate..so I will repost

Is the BCMP gpa a cumulative average of all the courses you have taken that fit into that list? or is it a sum of your physics gpa, chem gpa, etc

this matters as I said, because if it was the latter and if you had only 1 physics course, then it will count for all of physics, and if its the average of the average, then even if you hvae taken 50 bio courses it wil count as 25% of your BCMP gpa

No its not: If you take one physics course, one chem course, and one math course and 20 bio courses then that one physics course will count for 25% of the mark, as opposed to being worth 1/23

No, it's just a cumulative GPA - your physics course will remain 1/23. All BCPM courses carry the same weight. However, AMCAS does break it down by years, so you'll have your overall BCPM posted on your app, as well as the breakdown by year. So, like, if you took 3 BCPM courses in freshman year and got a 3.5 average, and then 3 BCPM courses in sophomore year with a 4.0, your overall BCPM would be 3.75, and then your freshman BCPM will show as 3.5, 9 credits, and the sophomore will be 4.0, 9 credits.

AMCAS has pretty thorough instructions on all of this in their 70+ page guide to the primary app, you might want to check it out.

No its not: If you take one physics course, one chem course, and one math course and 20 bio courses then that one physics course will count for 25% of the mark, as opposed to being worth 1/23

1 chem, 1 math, 1 physics, 20 bio = 23 courses

add up all GPA from those courses *divide* by 23 courses.

as jochi said, that one physics course will just be 1/23 of your mark. add up all your bio/chem/phys/math GPAs and divide by the # of courses. nothing fancy.

Does this mean that first year physics/chemistry/math classes, and upper year stats etc. that are offered by an engineering department do not count towards this average?

(I know, I should check AMCAS, but I just wrote the MCAT earlier today and I'm feeling lazy).

Archived