Premed 101 Forums

Applying early vs. Retaking MCAT

I am applyint to the top-schools (top-ten) in the US. I wanted to apply early (as in June or July)- but I am also debating re-writing the MCAT on July 24th.

I have written the MCAT before and received a 34 - but I really think I can do about three points better (as I was doing on the practice tests but seemed to flop on the actual MCAT). I have been studying and have a good feeling I can get 37/38.

But if I do rewrite the MCAT, then my AMCAS application won't be verified until about the end of August, which is later in the game- right?

AMCAS would wait for my new MCAT marks before it completes verification and sends it to medical schools?

So what do you think is more advantageous- boosting MCAT or applying very early??

Does anyone know if I can just NOT indicate on my AMCAS that I am rewriting the MCAT this year, so that it can be verified and forwarded to the medical schools NOW and then after I have written the July 24th MCAT, request AMCAS to send my new scores to the medical schools?

AMCAS will verify your application and send it to schools BEFORE MCAT results are released. It is your secondary applications that are held up because of your MCAT - NOT YOUR AMCAS APPLICATION.

Also, most top tier schools are not rolling so applying early or late does not affect your chances. So you can re-take the MCAT and apply later. Check each school's website to make sure that they aren't rolling. I know Harvard is not rolling for sure.

Also, most top tier schools are not rolling so applying early or late does not affect your chances. So you can re-take the MCAT and apply later. Check each school's website to make sure that they aren't rolling. I know Harvard is not rolling for sure.

Harvard, Boston, Duke, and Yale are non-rolling. I don't think there are any others...

Archived