Premed 101 Forums

CaRMs stats for IMGs

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2007MatchResults/Match_Results_for_the_IMGs_by_Discipline_en.pdf

Just wanted to post the CaRMs stats for IMGs, I figure either this forum or the "Coming to canada for medicine" might be appropriate.

I just have a few questions about these stats.

1)Why does it seems like certain residencies that are considered competitive (rad onc with a 25% acceptance, cardiac surgery with 40% acceptance, etc) seeming as if they are easier to match than FM? Is this the variability in competition from year to year that exists in CaRMs?

2) It seems as if someone who wants to do rad onc, cardiac surgery, and IM (so in others words, doesn't care) will be expected to get one, based on stats (rad onc at 25% acceptance + 40% for cardiac +14% for IM). Similarly for hematological pathology there were no applicants..because no one chose to or because there were no available spots for IMGs?

I hate number crunching, its just really crude because it assumes that every applicant is equal, etc. I am aware of some of the approximations of reality going on. What are other things that I am overlooking?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived