Premed 101 Forums

mcat practice

dgibb

Hi everyone. First of all, I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I searched and could not find it. My question is: where do most people buy the MCAT practice books? I plan on buying either Gold Standard, EK or Kaplan, but I can't figure out where is the best place to buy them.

Thanks for your help!

Also, I might as well ask this in the same thread. I've seen people mention "teaching the mcat course". That could be hella helpful for taking the MCAT yourself... Gosh my powers of rationality are just great!

Anyway, I was wondering how people got this opportunity, and if they had already taken the mcat. Stuff like that. Thanks

Hi everyone. First of all, I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I searched and could not find it. My question is: where do most people buy the MCAT practice books? I plan on buying either Gold Standard, EK or Kaplan, but I can't figure out where is the best place to buy them.

Thanks for your help!

Buy your MCAT books from amazon.ca, or Chapters (online/ real store), or have them provided to you by your prep course. And of course, the classified ads section on this forum.

Also, I might as well ask this in the same thread. I've seen people mention "teaching the mcat course". That could be hella helpful for taking the MCAT yourself... Gosh my powers of rationality are just great!

Anyway, I was wondering how people got this opportunity, and if they had already taken the mcat. Stuff like that. Thanks

You get to teach a section of the MCAT course if you do well in any one section on the MCAT. 90th percentile ok, 95th perecntile preferred, for the section you are interested in teaching. So for example, on a certaiun section (PS/VR/BS your call) get a 12 or 13 on your real MCAT. You usually only get hooked up by the course if you took it when prepping yourself. So like take the Kaplan class one summer, apply to teach the next summer. Then, train with them for a teaching position. Teaching helps to really solidify what you know-- but if you dont need to take the MCAT again since you did well, youre now in it for yourself, and not the score you hope to get.

savvy?

hey dgibb,

courses like TPR/ Kaplan are about 1400-1700$. I cant remember the exact price since I'm not taking one.

Theyre not such a bad idea b/c they have a lot of CBT format stuff which is great.

I dont know if theyre still open for registration, since its like late June, and that means at the very latest, only 2 months-ish till September. But ya, just check the Kaplan and TPR websites, they'll let you know.

What I was thinking of doing before is talk to a friend, or a group of friends, and pool the money together to pay for one person signing up for the course. Then, share the login and password to do all the online stuff. Cuz really, what you need are the materials more than you need to attend the classroom lectures. Its either that or walk the plank.

Damn, I'm witty.

Archived