Premed 101 Forums

unfilled residency spots??

I was wondering about unfilled residency spots after the second iteration...So even though some people may really want them, they don't end up getting filled up? I guess they're being picky even when we have a doctor shortage or am I overlooking something?

Hi there,

Yes, some programs can be picky, just as some applicants can be. After the interview process is complete it's possible that, both, the program or the applicant might not be so keen on the other, thus, that they chose not to rank the program/applicant, rendering some of the spots unfilled. To provide an example, although it was first round, there was one program a few years ago which chose not to rank many of its interviewees. Four of its 5 spots were unfilled.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I was just wondering....what do those who do not get a residency position at all, do??

Hi there,

Many of these folks apply for residency positions in the second round of the CaRMS match. If they don't match then I've seen folks do a number of different things including getting a job in another field for a few months to help pay the bills. Most, however, seem to end up doing activities that strengthen their applications for the following year's match.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi there,

Many of these folks apply for residency positions in the second round of the CaRMS match. If they don't match then I've seen folks do a number of different things including getting a job in another field for a few months to help pay the bills. Most, however, seem to end up doing activities that strengthen their applications for the following year's match.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks Kirsteen! I was wondering about something, Won't it be hard to do anything that involves electives because I was under the impression that you don't have malpractice insurance, so what kind of activities can you do?

Thanks Kirsteen! I was wondering about something, Won't it be hard to do anything that involves electives because I was under the impression that you don't have malpractice insurance, so what kind of activities can you do?

Hi there,

In some provinces, a limited license may be sought that allows the student to complete electives of sorts. So some of the folks I know who didn't match did end up spending a good time within pure clinical scenarios.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

does anyone have a list of all the programs with the unfilled spots? i couldn't find it in the stats and reports section of the carms website.

Hi there,

This appears on the CaRMS site, or at least, it used to. (Since matching I haven't been looking at the CaRMS site as much--shocker. :))

Cheers,

Kirsteen

does anyone have a list of all the programs with the unfilled spots? i couldn't find it in the stats and reports section of the carms website.

There is a lot of data to sort throug, most of which is actually very repetitive, but here it is for the first iteration:

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2007MatchResults/Vacancies_by_Discipline_en.pdf

and for the second iteration:

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2007MatchResults/Unfilled_Positions_by_Discipline_and_Medical_School_en.pdf

You gave me the disciplines for the first iteration...I`ll sort through it a bit more to try to find the programs on the carms website...I`m just trying to figure out how many spots for which specialties at which universities were left open at first.

Archived