Premed 101 Forums

extra courses and UofT's weighting formula

Seeing has I will most likely NOT be getting in this year, I've decided to broaden my horizons out of ontario (:() just in case.

If I decided to take a physics course and english, would I have to take them in the summer to avoid a year without a full 5.0 course load? I did my undergrad at UofT but will most likely just take the extra courses somewhere 'easier' like ryerson or york so they wouldn't be counted for my degree (and since I've already maxed out first year credits these would only be considered optional ones...)

Seeing has I will most likely NOT be getting in this year, I've decided to broaden my horizons out of ontario (:() just in case.

If I decided to take a physics course and english, would I have to take them in the summer to avoid a year without a full 5.0 course load? I did my undergrad at UofT but will most likely just take the extra courses somewhere 'easier' like ryerson or york so they wouldn't be counted for my degree (and since I've already maxed out first year credits these would only be considered optional ones...)

hey hannah,

i'm not sure how it works if you've already convocated? also, because the 4 years they would have to look at would have the full course load.

sounds like you want these to apply to the states? will you applying for this cycle? you might want to submit your amcas asap

also, the 2nd half of summer sessions are about to start at UofT. i think ryerson's second summer semester might have already began (i took a summer course there 3 years ago, 2nd one started june 14th and i registered in may).

i'd get the ball rolling on it...so you can still have the weighted formula apply.

also remember you dont need the prereqs at the time of application. you need them before matriculation. you can say its a future course in summer '08 or even the school year 07-08 (although if you apply now, tehy wont' be able to verify this on your transcript; since rosi has not opened for fall registration the course would not show up on your transcript...so it would be a little white lie and you can finish it in the summer).

if i were you, i would prob just want to take this summer off (in terms of school)..maybe you can work on your apps adn then when you are finished you can do something interesting or that i've always wanted to do

yes, this summer is simply for recuperation for my ego and getting prepped for applications round two

I was thinking of just taking the courses during the school year but was concerned with the potentially losing the full course load advantage with U of T since it's my favourite weighting formula, haha

I have an IB/OAC english so I'm waiting to hear back from a few schools whether they'll accept this as my pre-req, but because I declined the transfer credit from U of T I'm not sure how this'll work.

Hey Hanna,

I remember emailing Deborah about the exact same question u are asking and she said that you won't be penalized for taking the extra 1.5 courses in ur 5th yr, b/c u'r essentially a part-time student (the 5.0 credit per year thing is only if u'r full-time). So u can still benefit from dropping ur lowest mark. However, the email she sent me was very short so I'd email her just to make sure.

Hope that helps!

Archived