Premed 101 Forums

question about prerequisites (bio and english)

Many US schools seem to require a biology with a lab component

My school has general biology divided up into 2 half year courses, one of which has a lab component. Otherwise it is impossible to have a general biology course with a lab component...would courses like microbiology with lab components count? If it does, will I be able to take a 1/2 general bio course and combine it with a microbio course to get my full credit?

My second question is, although many schools require english, a previous poster in these forums has mentioned that it could be substituted by a philosophy/essay writing course? is this sometimes true/never true/universally true?

Many US schools seem to require a biology with a lab component

My school has general biology divided up into 2 half year courses, one of which has a lab component. Otherwise it is impossible to have a general biology course with a lab component...would courses like microbiology with lab components count? If it does, will I be able to take a 1/2 general bio course and combine it with a microbio course to get my full credit?

My second question is, although many schools require english, a previous poster in these forums has mentioned that it could be substituted by a philosophy/essay writing course? is this sometimes true/never true/universally true?

I can answer your 2nd question. It really depends on the university and how the requirements are described. Some places want humanities in general (ie: philosophy, history, english, classics, etc), and some places specifically want social sciences (ie: political science, sociology, economics). However, some will want english literature specifically, and others may want sociology/psych/econ. It depends on the school and the requirements they have described. Like many a times has been said, the best way to know is to check each schools website for more information.

for the 1st question, look at the 87 page pdf guide on the amcas application page. they have a list of what counts as biology, and what counts as health sciences. If I remember correctly, it should count as bio, so you would be fine, but double check.

Archived