Premed 101 Forums

Started reading applications?

Guest swimmer

Guest swimmer

Does anyone know when do medical schools starts sifting through your application?

Is it now, or do they wait for OMSAS to verify everything?

just curious =)

Last I heard, the medical schools have not received your applications from OMSAS yet. OMSAS is still processing the applications and making sure that all of the 'bits' (references, transcripts, application $$) have arrived and been added to your application. They will then 'verify' your academic record by checking the official transcript that they received against the information that you entered in the Compass academic record section. After all of that is done, you will receive a confirmation in the mail from OMSAS and the applications are forwarded to the individual schools and the schools will start reading (or as is more likely) using a computer program to sort the applications by GPA or MCAT. I wouldn't expect this to happen much before December (if not January). You won't be able to tell the status of your application until the interview invites/first round rejections come out in late Feb or early March. (So, don't worry about it yet!!)

The timeline I imagine is that...

OMSAS will finish compiling and send off the apps just before the December holidays. I would imagine the schools won't even touch them until after the holidays. After all, they're human too! :)

Any thoughts?

Guest UWOMED2005

Some/many/most of the schools don't really "read" your applications per se. There's just too many applicants to do that. When they do "read applications," usually it's a series of committees put together to analyze your PIF or Autobio sketch or essays or whatever. They'll then give those submissions a mark on some scale. Applicants are then often ranked according to some combination of the scores given for GPA, MCAT, and Essay/PIF/Autobio-sketch/Whatever-they-score. Based on those rankings, applicants are invited to interview.

So what you really want to know is when you'll get notified of whether you got an interview or not. Those committees, if used to evaluate autobio/essay/whatevers, often do there analysis in Jan/Feb/March. You'll find that you'll start hearing from some schools in early February, but others (U of T) can be notoriously slow. . . some of their invites haven't gone out until early May in past years!

So sit tight, relax, do well on whatever courses you're currently taking (make sure to make the minimum GPAs. . . usually around 3.7, 3.8 for U of T) and enjoy your last year NOT in med school. . . because if you do get in, it's going to be quite a bit of work! :)

Hope this helps.

Guest Biochem10

Just a question...since when is the minimum cut-off of U of T a 3.8??????? I think you are merely speculating about this "minimum" which is stated as 3.6 in the U of T brochure and I'm pretty sure (since I have spoken to people on the committee) that if you're over a 3.6 they WILL be looking at the rest of your info (sketch, essay, MCAT...etc) Just thought I'd make the correction.

Guest UWOMED2005

Sorry, you are correct. The official cutoff for U of T, according to the book, is "3.6." I don't really know the specifics of U of T's application procedure. My best guess is that they used that 3.6 number to decide which essays to bother reading, and then (at least in past years) applied a 60%/40% weighting to determine who would actually be given an interview.

Thing is though, I haven't heard of MANY people getting interviews with less than 3.8. I do know of one person who applied my year and got an interview with a 3.71 or 3.72. . . but that's not all that common from what I understand. Most of the people I've seen posting on this board and most of my friends who interviewed at U of T had 3.8+ GPAs. Of course, I've also seen a number of posts from people with >3.8 GPAs who didn't get offered interviews by U of T. And as they also upped the MCAT cutoffs this year for U of T and I have heard of people getting interviews with gpas as low as 3.7, if I was applying and my GPA wasn't quite at the 3.8 level I quoted I wouldn't lose any sleep over it or count myself out. But I wouldn't count on an interview either.

Archived