Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Electives

I'm really bad at picking electives... so I'm still having trouble picking my crazy amounts of electives going into 3rd year and was hoping that someone had suggestions of courses they have taken and enjoyed.

So far I think I've settled on clinical biochem, human biochem, chem 210a (environmental chem) and astro 121b (search for life).

I am also thinking about astro 122a (origins of the universe), Classics 137 (mythology), Immunology 357a, Health Sciences 205b (Models of Health & Health Care Delivery), and Catholic Theology 027E.

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated. :D

hey law,

i'm going into 3rd year too, so i haven't taken those courses but i've heard that classics 137 and astro 122a are pretty easy. i wanted to take astro but it didn't fit into my sched.

i'm taking classics 136 (ancient sports) and psych 153 (human sexuality). have you heard about those ones?

hey ashlay,

I heard human sexuality is a great class to take. I haven't heard about classics 136 though. I wonder if there are any good 3rd year electives to take (trying to keep 60% of my courses as 3rd year). Health sciences 306a looks kinda interesting "health promotion" is the topic. Oh, I've also heard anatomy and cell biology 319 (full year) is supposed to be a really easy course... but I'm not 100% sure.

i heard the same thing about anat 319, i'm taking that too!

as for 3rd year classes, i've heard that biology 397b is easy... it's "regulation of gene expression" apparently it's just all the same topics we did in bio 281. i'm in physiology so i'm taking physiology 312, 314a and 313y as my 3rd year courses.

He still is. Its gonna take him all summer just to come up with this bird course. Of course, he's going to deny ever taking a bird course and say it's a, "course that he likes and enjoys." I.e., bird course. Lol.

hahaha true dat.. he has never taken a physio class either... hmmm law, you should probably take a physio class.. it would be much more usefull in med that the search for extraterrestial life ;):D

i heard the same thing about anat 319, i'm taking that too!

as for 3rd year classes, i've heard that biology 397b is easy... it's "regulation of gene expression" apparently it's just all the same topics we did in bio 281. i'm in physiology so i'm taking physiology 312, 314a and 313y as my 3rd year courses.

Oh really, I liked that stuff in 281. I was thinking about taking it, but won't have room 2nd term. I was thinking about anatomy and cell bio 319... if I do, then I'll take out clinical biochem and human biochem... but those classes look so cool! Do you have any ideas for a first semester 3rd year course?

hahaha true dat.. he has never taken a physio class either... hmmm law, you should probably take a physio class.. it would be much more usefull in med that the search for extraterrestial life ;):D

you're just jealous that your school doesn't offer as many interesting courses ;)

you're just jealous that your school doesn't offer as many interesting courses ;)

hahaha probably... i would be like :"so what does an alien look like"... "do they really like to anal probe you"? ... the prof would probably kick me out :D

hey guys, im going into 2nd yr and am looking for some electives.

do you guys have anything good to recommend for second yr electives? what did you guys take?

i have 1.5 electives and took phys 130 for 1.0 but am still missing 0.5...

would you recommend overloading to take a full 1.0 arts credit?

im still very confused as to what classes to take...what do you guys suggest of classics 100? or any other course?

what english would you suggest taking?

i took classics 100, it was easy and useful! if you have a good memory then definately take it.

i dunno about english classes, but one my roommates took fantasy lit cause you read harry potter and LOTR.

and no, law, i don't know any first semester 3rd year courses. good luck though!

hey guys, im going into 2nd yr and am looking for some electives.

do you guys have anything good to recommend for second yr electives? what did you guys take?

i have 1.5 electives and took phys 130 for 1.0 but am still missing 0.5...

would you recommend overloading to take a full 1.0 arts credit?

im still very confused as to what classes to take...what do you guys suggest of classics 100? or any other course?

what english would you suggest taking?

A course I really enjoyed was Biology 286a - evolution. It's taught by Macdougall Shackleton who is an excellent prof. Her exams are very fair and she's really approachable if you need any help. She says that there are a handful of textbook questions on the exam, but I never read the textbook and did really well on both the exams. It was great having to just study from the notes and understand the concepts. Not really difficult at all. The textbook for that class is garbage though.

Have you taken psychology 020? That's also a fairly easy and interesting class.

interesting, the thing is my yr right now is all science related so i was hoping to take something outside of the science field just to relax or whatno...

i did take a psych...i took psych 023 so no use in taking psych 20.

i am considering to take classics 100 now.

Oh really, I liked that stuff in 281. I was thinking about taking it, but won't have room 2nd term. I was thinking about anatomy and cell bio 319... if I do, then I'll take out clinical biochem and human biochem... but those classes look so cool! Do you have any ideas for a first semester 3rd year course?

Hmm...not really.

would astronomy count for the physical science elective or do you have to take chem or physics

I think I read in the course calendar that Astro 122a is a "science course for non-science students" and actual science students can't take it as a science course (only as a general elective) so I'm guessing no, it doesn't count as physical. I don't think you can use 100 level courses as prereqs. You'd prob have to take physics or chem, and maybe Astro or Earth Science, but not 100-level.

• 4 weeks later...

i had an epiphany the other day that i didn't want to do an honors thesis project in 4th year... so i'm switching from HSP physiology into dbl major in physiology and med sci. as a result, i have 3.0 more science courses i need to take over 2 years, and i still need my essay requirements (1.5 more). i'm pretty much avoiding the research project because i hate labs/lab reports/ research. so that leaves me with no room for bird courses :P

what essay courses have you guys taken? i know there are some 300 level bio courses that are essay credits, but i'm pretty sure it's because they involve numerous lab reports.

i guess i can't expect to do an honours med sci degree totally avoiding lab reports.

i had an epiphany the other day that i didn't want to do an honors thesis project in 4th year... so i'm switching from HSP physiology into dbl major in physiology and med sci. as a result, i have 3.0 more science courses i need to take over 2 years, and i still need my essay requirements (1.5 more). i'm pretty much avoiding the research project because i hate labs/lab reports/ research. so that leaves me with no room for bird courses :P

what essay courses have you guys taken? i know there are some 300 level bio courses that are essay credits, but i'm pretty sure it's because they involve numerous lab reports.

i guess i can't expect to do an honours med sci degree totally avoiding lab reports.

I was thinking about doing the same as you, but I think I want to try to do a thesis. Hmmm, essay courses... have you thought about taking English 020E? Some Canadian schools require english and most American schools do too.

Hey guys,,,,

I've taken Psych 153...the new instructor, Chivers, I believe she is sexist, I didn't mind, cause it was funny,,,anyways,,,,about it being a bird course...I wouldn't say so,,,I had to try HARD to get my 83....also if your a heavy science student like me,,,you wont like the structure of that classes' exams....go to the website and somewhere you will find "if there is discrepancy between what the professor said in class and the textbook, go with the textbook"....and she likes to use worlds 'more likely, usually, probably," etc etc in her exams...i thought she was horrible,,,but i did good enough in her class....

as for classical mythology....it is easy....my tip to u is,,,,especially if ur greek,,,dont assume u know it all,,,,make sure u do ur readings...

as for immunology 357...hahaha...as 'bosco' would say "I assure you..." can do good as long as you keep at it, I only recommend it if you've taken 221,,,,thats a good course to lead into it...I wouldn't say its a bird, my buddy took it and didnt do that well, hope that helps

Hey guys,,,,

I've taken Psych 153...the new instructor, Chivers, I believe she is sexist, I didn't mind, cause it was funny,,,anyways,,,,about it being a bird course...I wouldn't say so,,,I had to try HARD to get my 83....also if your a heavy science student like me,,,you wont like the structure of that classes' exams....go to the website and somewhere you will find "if there is discrepancy between what the professor said in class and the textbook, go with the textbook"....and she likes to use worlds 'more likely, usually, probably," etc etc in her exams...i thought she was horrible,,,but i did good enough in her class....

as for classical mythology....it is easy....my tip to u is,,,,especially if ur greek,,,dont assume u know it all,,,,make sure u do ur readings...

as for immunology 357...hahaha...as 'bosco' would say "I assure you..." can do good as long as you keep at it, I only recommend it if you've taken 221,,,,thats a good course to lead into it...I wouldn't say its a bird, my buddy took it and didnt do that well, hope that helps

Thanks for the info. I haven't taken 221, but I can't find any other class to take besides 357 that's a 3rd year course and won't totally mess up my schedule. I'm still thinking about finding another, but we'll see.

Archived