Premed 101 Forums

2008 Application Cycle

Well, I've just started working on my application for NOSM and I'm currently working on my sketch and so far I've added 13 items. My question is, is it best to fill up all 48 spots? Or better yet, does NOSM even look at the sketch portion of the application? What sorts of things should I avoid adding to the sketch? I like playing sports for example but I don't play on any leagues or established sports teams, can I add it under extracurricular sor other or should I not add it at all??

thanks,

-wisdom_tooth

Well, the admissions committee certainly does consider your sketch. The more you have on there, the better you look. I applied for the inaugural class and didn't get in, and I think a lot had to do with me not selling myself in this part of the application.

I applied again last fall, and filled up the 48 spaces. You may find that there have been lots of things that you have done but had forgotten (like me). I was admitted this year, so that is at least some circumstantial evidence that more is better.

However, DON'T put in pathetic entries, as it will be really clear that you are reaching for anything. Medical school admissions committees have to look for reasons to reject (or grade low) applications, as finding flaws is much easier that deciding which good points merit more than other good points in someone else's application.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the Autobiographic Sketch, I have a few questions:

- I was a simulated trauma victim on 3 or 4 times occassions back in 2000 and dont recall the actual daes and they were just randomly throughout the year. How do I put this in? Currently I have a place holder info stating that I did this from jan-dec 2000 though this is not true.

- I am a part a regional Diabetes Network which is loosely related to work, I do stuff for this outside of work, so should I put it under 'OTHER' or can I not list this seperately because it is too related to work?

- I have attended Conferences, such as an Aboriginal Traditional Foods Conference, a Sacred Three Fires Elders Gathering, a number of professional national conferences related to being a health care professional in my current position ... could I put these under OTHER? I think these would be a nice touch despite the fact that they are work related. Any thoughts?

- I am a member of a number of professional associations, can I include these somewhere as well?

Thanks ahead of time for your assistance.

Recently I received a private message where I was asked to provide tips on how to be successful in the NOSM interview. Instead of just keeping this private, I though I should share this with others as well. Note that there is no "inside information" here, just my approach to the interview when I was doing it last spring. Use this advice at your own risk. :o

------------

I had a tough time with this too, because I know there would be applicants telling the interviewers "what they wanted to hear." It's hard to compete against that. Giving an honest interview vs. representing what the medical school is looking for is a choice you need to make for yourself. I gave an honest interview, and it thankfully worked out in the end. But, given how competitive things are, I would definitely say I was lucky, in that I'm sure there were other applicants who were just as qualified as me, but didn't get in. I have two other pieces of advice: 1) answer questions in the interview by explaining things clearly and thoroughly--don't require the interviewer to have to assume anything or "read between the lines" about any part of your answer; and 2) present yourself in the best way possible by highlighting your strengths when you have the chance.

Archived