Premed 101 Forums

Biology courses that help...

Hey,

Im going to be entering my second year of undergrad at UTM and I just had a question regarding which bio courses are helpful for med school and MCAT. Im doing a major in bio and so wanted to know what courses will help me. Here are some options i was considering:

Advanced Genetics, molecular biology, laboratory in molecular biology and genetics, advanced cell biology,and physiology of neural systems....:o [most of these are 3rd yr courses..just planing ahead]

so if anyone has any suggestions...It'll really help me:D

For mcat, to cover all bases, take:

genetics, molecular bio, biochem, phyiso, microbio (histology if available)

for med school in general you will need a year of english

the most stringent requirements in the country for med school are at U of Alberta, and UBC ... so if you check the prereqs for those schools and meet them you will meet the prereqs for every school in the country

thank u so much guys for ur suggestions!:)

one more question, there are courses that are only laboratory work in molecular bio, phisiology and genetics at my university (meaning no lectures)...seems like these are the type of courses that would drop my GPA. So you think introductory courses in these areas are good enough?

When looking at those lab courses, double check the credit value of those courses. I had to do one of those lab courses, 4 hour labs every Friday for the whole year, with 6 full multi-page lab reports (with everything from background to materials & methods to discussion of results) and it was only a 0.5 credit. I didn't know that there were also year-long lecture courses worth 0.5 credit (only thought I could take the half semester ones and didn't want to do that and make it extra hard for me) so that year, I only ended up with 4.5 credits, and it also was my best year so I couldn't use it for some of the schools. I think these lab courses are really helpful for Masters and PhDs - don't think it will really add any prep for Med school and/or the MCAT.

Archived