Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill student French med aspirant

Guys,

I know french universities calculate your CRU which depends on your program and can change fro year to year. I did my first 30 credits in computer engineering and the rest 107 in electrial engineering. Will my only electrical engineering courses be taken in to account or all courses including computer engineering. How is a electrical engineering degree with a biomedical minor witha cGPA of 3.6 from McGill rated for all the 3 universities ? Will this GPA help me get a CRU above 35 in general?

all university courses will be taken into account. You really need to apply to know what kind of CRU you will get or you can compare yourself with someone who applied from the same program and university the year before (if you find someone...) but since it varies from year to year (and according to the class average in every course) you won't know for sure that it's the CRU you'll get. Ulaval lets you know your ''program strength'' here : http://www.reg.ulaval.ca/webdav/site/reg/shared/Documents_PDF/Prog_cont/Calcul_Cote_Laval.pdf (but you'll have to put your GPA on a 4,3 scale...)

But again CRUs vary a little from universities...

hello, I saw the list of CRU from Laval. I would like to know how do french universities calculate a minor. I have a biomedical minor with electrical engineering. while calculating a gpa out of 4 and comparing it to laval's 4.3 does the gpa remain same or increse. like mcgill has gpa of 4 but when compared to u de M or laval's 4.3 scale does it increase or decrease?

hello, I saw the list of CRU from Laval. I would like to know how do french universities calculate a minor. I have a biomedical minor with electrical engineering. while calculating a gpa out of 4 and comparing it to laval's 4.3 does the gpa remain same or increse. like mcgill has gpa of 4 but when compared to u de M or laval's 4.3 scale does it increase or decrease?

They dont care about the minor... nor an honours degree. they used all the courses you have ever taken in calculating your cru.. while refering to only your major...

• 2 weeks later...

:confused: when you say gpa put on 4.3 scale will increase, then does this involve calculating the grade for each course on a 4.3 scale for mcgill and then finding the cgpa or they simpply increase the cgpa on a 4.3 scale from 4.

The link you provided, gives all universities except universite de montreal and laval? Do u know how do these universities calculate GPA for a McGill scale of 4.0?

Also when the CRU is calculated, it does depend on your cGPA? Doesn't it?

I mean lets say I have a 3.6/4.0 gpa from mcgill in electrical+biomedical minor, then how much CRU can I expect? Can I expect my cGPA to be around 3.9/4.3 and then a CRU is awarded for this GPA?

Also, regarding dentistry, do the french universities accept the english DAT as opposed to TAED?

all university courses will be taken into account. You really need to apply to know what kind of CRU you will get or you can compare yourself with someone who applied from the same program and university the year before (if you find someone...) but since it varies from year to year (and according to the class average in every course) you won't know for sure that it's the CRU you'll get. Ulaval lets you know your ''program strength'' here : http://www.reg.ulaval.ca/webdav/site/reg/shared/Documents_PDF/Prog_cont/Calcul_Cote_Laval.pdf (but you'll have to put your GPA on a 4,3 scale...)

But again CRUs vary a little from universities...

In the link you posted, what does the "Indice de force de discipline" used for? How is it used in CRU formula?

Thanks.

that's what I asked.

How do u put your gpa on a 4.3 scale . The link posted above gives gpa conversion table for all universities except laval and UdM. Can someone post the conversion for Laval and UdM?

I think its the same as the one for sherby...

It doesn't matter if you can't convert your gpa for these schools, they don't simply take your gpa on 4.3 and calculate your CRU with it, they transform your gpa into a Z score, it doesn't change anything if your gpa is on 4 or on 4.3, it will give the same Z score. Then the Z score is adjusted according to your program. That's what the ulaval link is for. It does not tell you exactly what CRU you will have with your gpa, it only lets you know if you are in a strong program or not, and what kind of CRU to expect if your gpa is 4.3 or 4, etc. If you put your CRU on 4.3 with the link above (Ulaval and Umontreal calculate it the same way sherbrooke and Uqam do, i think) and then see what CRU you have from Ulaval, your real CRU will probably be around that, but not necessarily exactly the same. Umontreal explains how they calculate CRUs here : http://www.etudes.umontreal.ca/programme/doc_prog/section3B.pdf you'll see that you can't really calculate it yourself.

It doesn't matter if you can't convert your gpa for these schools, they don't simply take your gpa on 4.3 and calculate your CRU with it, they transform your gpa into a Z score, it doesn't change anything if your gpa is on 4 or on 4.3, it will give the same Z score. Then the Z score is adjusted according to your program. That's what the ulaval link is for. It does not tell you exactly what CRU you will have with your gpa, it only lets you know if you are in a strong program or not, and what kind of CRU to expect if your gpa is 4.3 or 4, etc. If you put your CRU on 4.3 with the link above (Ulaval and Umontreal calculate it the same way sherbrooke and Uqam do, i think) and then see what CRU you have from Ulaval, your real CRU will probably be around that, but not necessarily exactly the same. Umontreal explains how they calculate CRUs here : http://www.etudes.umontreal.ca/programme/doc_prog/section3B.pdf you'll see that you can't really calculate it yourself.
Do you have an idea about what to expect as a correction? In other words, the value they add to your Z score varies from what to what?

Thanks.

Hmmm... it could work if you are in a program with an average ''program strenght'' ... but there is no way to know your CRU for sure before applying to a program... and your cru can vary from university to another... for example, there was a 0.4 point difference in mine from umontreal to usherbrooke.

Hmmm... it could work if you are in a program with an average ''program strenght'' ... but there is no way to know your CRU for sure before applying to a program... and your cru can vary from university to another... for example, there was a 0.4 point difference in mine from umontreal to usherbrooke.
Is it possible that with a 4.1 equals to less than 32 R score?

Zizany, since you are answering all of my questions, I would like to ask you something off topic (non medecine related).

I will apply in dentistry this january with 48 credits in my folder. More precisly,33 credits in "mineur arts et sciences" and 15 credits in "sciences biologiques" with a 4.1/4.3 average. Now my question is, considering the courses and programs Iv'e completed, basing yourself on your experience, do you think that my average will cut it?

Thanks alot!

it is possible to get less than 32 with a 4.1 depending on your program, however, I think that in your case your CRU will be high enough... but I can't know for sure... I'm sorry...

I had a CRU of 34 with 48 credits in psychology and a gpa of 4.0, and I don't think that psychology is considered to be a very strong program, so you should be fine too. But for dentistry I don't know if it is like medicine at UdeM, where if you don't have a complete bachelors degree, the minimal CRU to get an interview will be even higher. (for medicine it was around 32.something or 33 (see in older posts) if you had a complete degree and 35,7 if you were in your first or second year.)

it is possible to get less than 32 with a 4.1 depending on your program, however, I think that in your case your CRU will be high enough... but I can't know for sure... I'm sorry...

I had a CRU of 34 with 48 credits in psychology and a gpa of 4.0, and I don't think that psychology is considered to be a very strong program, so you should be fine too. But for dentistry I don't know if it is like medicine at UdeM, where if you don't have a complete bachelors degree, the minimal CRU to get an interview will be even higher. (for medicine it was around 32.something or 33 (see in older posts) if you had a complete degree and 35,7 if you were in your first or second year.)

No it's not the same I checked it out already.

Thanks alot for your help Zizany I really appreciate it. If you need anything Il'l be glad to help out.

Archived