Premed 101 Forums

Old vs. New MCAT

reddevil85

Not that it really matters for me anymore, but i am curious to know if there is anyone out there who has written both the old version of the mcat and the new online version and what they thought of the two.

-Comparing them head to head, does one seem easier than the other....?

-how did you find reading off a computer screen?

-Have average scores increased or decreased compared to the old version etc...?

Also, is a "shotgun" method common, where people sign up for something like 3 dates in 3 months etc....

Im sure this sort of information could be helpful for someone who has written in previous years and is on the fence about re-writing.

Not that it really matters for me anymore, but i am curious to know if there is anyone out there who has written both the old version of the mcat and the new online version and what they thought of the two.

-Comparing them head to head, does one seem easier than the other....?

-how did you find reading off a computer screen?

-Have average scores increased or decreased compared to the old version etc...?

Also, is a "shotgun" method common, where people sign up for something like 3 dates in 3 months etc....

Im sure this sort of information could be helpful for someone who has written in previous years and is on the fence about re-writing.

Check out this link:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=156711&postcount=18

I don't think they have the data of whether or not the scores increased or decreased yet. However, even if they show, I'd imagine it'd show the exact same because it's all standardized.

I don't think you can sign up for more than one sitting at a time.

Scores on the 15 point scale will remain the same. Its a floating distribution. ;)

As far as raw scores, I suspect that they might drop a bit. However, I bet the raw scores on the essays might increase slightly. Its very interesting to look at how medium can affect performance.

when i was thinking about the change, i figured scores (raw scores, that is) might go up, since there would be more people rewriting. before, re-writing was always delayed and probably took you out of a whole application cycle, whereas now people can re-write almost immediately. so more people would go back for a re-write for the sake of a few points?

just my guess though :P

Archived