Premed 101 Forums

Radiation Oncology or Medical Oncology?

So I've been looking at some potential residency options and found rad onc. and med onc. to be fairly interesting. So here's what I've been wondering:

1. Does anyone know how these two are similar and different?
  2. I know Med onc. is 3 years of IM + 2 years of Onc and another year of Heme fellowships but what is the length of a rad onc. residency?
  3. Also, how are the salaries for the two fields?
  4. Is fellowship pay higher than the standard resident pay?
  5. What is the lifestyle like for the two specialties?

i have no idea about the earnings for rad onc and med onc. Like any specialty, I think it can be quite variable, depending on the type of practice you choose. Maybe someone else knows more.

Hi there,

I'm currently completing a month-long rotation in Rad Onc as part of the Radiology residency program and know that, at some Canadian centres, at least, Rad Onc practitioners are salary-based. I've heard of some salaries on the west coast and here hovering around the $400-500K mark. US incomes tend to be higher. I was on a trip recently with a US Rad Onc practitioner who is based out of a very large academic centre. He noted that his income was derived from a group practice paid by the university hospital. I assume that he did quite well given his penchant for collecting multiple, rare sports cars, etc., and his numerous homes in London, New York, etc.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thank God for this forum and you guys. Otherwise, I would've had to have relied on the *gasp* Studentdoctor.net group. It seems like the Med Onc. residency is different here than what I read about there. Either way, that's some incredible info. The 5 years of post grad training is better than what I was expecting and makes the two paths even more appealing.

Thanks guys!

Archived