Premed 101 Forums

GPA Conversion...

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi everyone:

Quick mini-math question:

Three years ago, I had a B+ average, two years ago I had a straight A- average, last year straight A's. Pepper the odd B- or A+ in there. Purely out of interest, does anyone know why my GPA has barely raised over the last year (four full courses)?

I've not taken statistics, but I have taken economics, so I have an understanding of the law of diminishing returns in that once a peak has been reached it is very difficult to raise that peak even incrementally. Is that what is happening here?

Furthermore, does anyone know why the OMSAS average almost always drops a few tenths of a point compared to one's university transcript...?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there macdaddyeh,

I would surmise that it is due to the non-linearity of the OMSAS course grade values and the subsequent impact on your GPA. If you achieve a 77% in any course, that course value, according to OMSAS will be 3.30 (according to scale 3), whereas an 87%=3.90 and 97%=4.00. So, to include a B+ in your average means that you also incur quite a drop in GPA, which is difficult to recoup without taking a multitude of new courses with a 4.00 average in each. :rolleyes

Cheers, and best of luck this year,

Kirsteen

Guest macdaddyeh

Thanks Kirsteen for that analysis. Incidentally, at U of T Arts and Science undergrad courses >85% equals a 4.0 in retrospect. That is to say, whether I earn an 85 or 95 or 99% in a given course I get a 4 point value for that course. OMSAS, evidently, is not that generous, despite U of T being notoriously difficult.

I guess I'm really going to have to buck up this year (although my GPA is still good).

Not to change the topic, but are you applying to Mac this year Kirsteen? Moreover, have you finished your MSc?

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

No worries re: the GPA bits. I'm happy to help. :)

Nope, no Mac in my future--long-ish story. :) As to the M.Sc., I've pretty much finished all of my course requirements (I just have a few lectures and one assignment due for a course that was postponed due to SARS) and am now hot on the thesis, which I hope to complete and defend by the spring.

Cheers, and good luck to you this year! :D

Kirsteen

Archived