Premed 101 Forums

wGPA cutoff

I haven't seen a post about this yet and thought people might be interested in hearing this...me and my girlfriend were a little confused about how the wGPA cutoffs were made (i.e, based on the applicant pool or decided upon before the application cycle), so we emailed admissions and this is the response we got:

"The cut-offs for academic performance is based on a list of priorities which is matched to the geographical status of the applicant. The geographical status is confirmed by the permanent residence (home address) and is verified with the activities listed on your sketch.

Applications from candidates to advance in the selection process next year goes as follow:

- Applicants who apply to the Consortium National de formation en santé (CNFS): residents from outside the provinces of Ontario and Québec applying to the French program 3.50/4.00

- Applicants who are sponsored by the Canadian Forces (CF)3.50/4.00

- Aboriginals 3.50/4.00

- Residents from Ontario and the Outaouais region applying to the French program 3.50/4.00

- Residents from under-serviced areas (as determined by the Faculty) 3.60/4.00

- Residents from the region (Ottawa-Outaouais) 3.65/4.00

- Residents from the province of Ontario 3.85/4.00

- Residents from other provinces 3.87/4.00

Thank you for you interest"

Now I'm pretty sure the in-province cutoff was 3.83 this past year so there appears to have been a change, not sure about the others though. Kinda annoyed, worked my ass off this year (4th year) to make up for a poor 2nd year so I could apply next year, made it to 3.83, and now it's changed! Such is life though, I suppose. I just find it weird that there do not appear to be any cutoffs published on the website and it seems a little misleading to let people apply thinking they may have a chance when they could save time and money if they just knew that the exact cutoffs existed before the cycle even began. Are these cutoffs usually posted before the application deadline? Seems a bit unfair if they aren't. Any thoughts? Or am I just stupid and the cutoffs are on the website?

First of all... you're not stupid. The cut-offs for the coming cycle are not on the website. (Honestly, I have never seen the exact cutoffs posted). I am from an underserviced area and had emailed UofO previously to ask about min wgpa's, and they mentioned that "the wgpa mins will be changing for the coming application cycle" - cycle for applying in Oct. 2007. They told me that the average wgpa for underserviced applicants was going to be around 3.6, so I am assuming that those mins you have listed are min wgpa's for this coming cycle. You are right, in that previously the wgpa for ontario applicants who fall in the normal category was 3.83, but it looks like that has changed, which is unfortunate for people who thought otherwise. I also agree that these wgpa mins should be made available before students apply in Oct, and hopefully they formally will be.

I'm unclear though what happens after the mins are met. From the website it looks like the marks are momentarily discarded once the wgpa minimum has been met, and then the autobiographical sketch is scored. At this point, it seems as though everyone who has met the wgpa (whatever that may be from the list you provided) is on level playing field to be granted an interview, and that the interview is based on the score of the sketch. It's not until after the interview where the wgpa is factored into a final score (something like 90% interview, 10% wgpa).

Can anyone clarify this?

I'm unclear though what happens after the mins are met. From the website it looks like the marks are momentarily discarded once the wgpa minimum has been met, and then the autobiographical sketch is scored. At this point, it seems as though everyone who has met the wgpa (whatever that may be from the list you provided) is on level playing field to be granted an interview, and that the interview is based on the score of the sketch. It's not until after the interview where the wgpa is factored into a final score (something like 90% interview, 10% wgpa).

Can anyone clarify this?

I think that's exactly it, except maybe for CNFS and possibly also the Canadian forces. At least for the former, there's a specific amount of seats (8) reserved, so they aren't really in the same pool, pre or post interview, as other applicants. Otherwise though, that's my understanding too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived