Premed 101 Forums

Can you be kicked out of medical school for smoking marijuana?

This is a bit of a strange question, but I'll do my best to answer.

I'm not aware of an official policy against smoking marijuana, but it does seem reasonable that if people's marijuana smoking does impact on their ability to complete the program or act professionally, then they could be subject to disciplinary action, which could include being forced to withdraw from school, much like if they were abusing alcohol.

U of T requires criminal record checks for students of all years, so if marijuana smoking resulted in a criminal record, then that could be a concern.

From a recent document:

As all medical students undertake significant portions of their education in settings with exposure to vulnerable populations, students are required to complete and submit the results of a Vulnerable Persons Criminal Record Check, at their own expense, in each academic year. This process must be initiated through your local police service.

The majority of students will have checks resulting in a “clear” report, indicating that no police record was found. A very few students may receive a “not clear,” or positive, report. There are many circumstances that could lead to this finding, and each such case will be considered individually by a confidential committee of the Faculty of Medicine. The Faculty of Medicine reserves the right to revoke an offer of admission or cancel registration based on a review of this Report.

Further down the road,

If you have ever been convicted of a criminal offence for which you have not received a pardon, you are strongly urged to consult with your provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons, as medical graduates with criminal records may not be eligible to receive licensure to practise medicine.

If you have any follow-up concerns, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived