Premed 101 Forums

Looking for a housemate!

Hey everyone,

I recently (yesterday actually!) bought a house in Kingston. It's at 159 Bagot St (near the corner of Bagot and Earl). The house is a 5-10 minute walk from everything - take a look at Google maps - it's an absolutely amazing location.

The house has three floors - lower, main, and upper - and I'll be living on the lower floor, renting out the upper floor, and the main floor will act as a shared space. The upper floor has 2 rooms and a bathroom. One room is about 13'x12' and the other is 12'x11' - each room is large enough for a bed and a desk and there was previously one person staying in each room.

The main floor of the house has hardwood in the living/dining room and ceramic in the kitchen. I'm putting in new stainless steel appliances and I have a large screen LCD television with surround sound. There's also a porch in the backyard along with a BBQ. I don't mind if the tenant uses any of my possessions as long as the person is tidy and respectful.

I'm asking for $600/mnth utilities included for the entire upper floor.

One of the upstairs rooms has a sofa and a desk in it, and I'm going to try and get a bed in the other room (that way the tenant can sleep in one and study in the other).

Msg me if you're interested!

Cool! You are going to be my sort of neighbour :) I live about a block away on Bagot St. I know the house that you are talking about - that's the one with a jacuzzi in the basement and the real estate office right next door, right?

And Curious_P, having lived in Sydenham Ward for the past three years, I think $600/month including utilities is way too cheap for the entire upper floor :eek: 13'x12' and 12'x11' are large rooms by downtown Kingston standards. You can easily get $474 including utilities for *each* room! Dude, you must be one incredibly generous guy.

And I agree with Cary. If I wasn't stuck in a lease already, I would definitely be interested too!

Cool! You are going to be my sort of neighbour :) I live about a block away on Bagot St. I know the house that you are talking about - that's the one with a jacuzzi in the basement and the real estate office right next door, right?

And Curious_P, having lived in Sydenham Ward for the past three years, I think $600/month including utilities is way too cheap for the entire upper floor :eek: 13'x12' and 12'x11' are large rooms by downtown Kingston standards. You can easily get $474 including utilities for *each* room! Dude, you must be one incredibly generous guy.

And I agree with Cary. If I weren't stuck in a lease already, I would definitely be interested too!

Oh no! You used my real name! now everyone will know! :P

I'm living with another meds2011 on top of the Chapters/Indigo on Princess. we're paying about $1300 + utilities, so $650 between the two of us. If anyone else is still looking for a place, Curious_P is definitely offering a lot for the money. Of course, I can't attest to the condition of the house, but the location and the space are definitely being offered at a great price. Not to mention, it's Curious_P!

Can't wait to actually meet you folks.

Thanks for the endorsement Cary!

The house is actually in a pretty good state, it's new (by Sydenham standards) having been built in 1992.

And yep - it's the house with the jacuzzi tub in the basement! The house is getting hardwood as we speak and I'll have the entire house painted before school starts.

I could've rented the top floor to two people, but I didn't really want to have three people in the house right away. Perhaps next year once we all know each other I would have no problem living with two friends, but I decided to be a bit cautious for my first year.

Oh, and the house has been rented!

:)

Hey Curious_P!

Part I, 5) i) of the Residential Tenancies Act which came into effect in 2006 (replacing the old Tenant Protection Act) basically says that since your tenant is sharing the kitchen with you (the landlord), the Residential Tenancies Act does not apply. On one hand this is good for you, as a landlord, because there are some stuff in the Act that is definitely in the tenant's favour like the rent increase limit or how you have to pay 6% interest on last month's rent if you ask for it as a deposit etc. On the other hand, it would mean that signing a lease gets a bit more complicated, since the Residential Tenancies Act is what sets out the responsiblity of the tenant, the terms for eviction, compensation for the landlord, rules for assignment of tenancy and subletting... etc. So while the tenant loses protection, you, as the landlord are also losing protection because the Act doesn't apply here.

But really, it's not a big deal because I don't think anybody in our class is going to wreck your place or leave it full of poop or sublet to an opium fiend with 6 cats!

If you really want to be on the safe side, I'm sure if you just phone up a lawyer they can give you the necessary advice and draft up a lease for you because this particular situation is fairly common.

Sorry if I made you worry with my previous post or anything.

Hi!

Im from the Meds 2010 Class - congrats to all of you!

I am looking for a shared place with other med students. for the past year Ive been in a one bedroom, which I love but its a bit far from school, and not so convenient for my dog.

Let me know if you are still looking for a roommate. I would have to give Homestead 2 mths so I couldnt move in until November.

Also do you think the bedrooms would accomodate a Queen sized bed? I dont think I can part with it!!

Thanks - I look forward to meeting you in Sept!

Melissa

Hello,

I am actually going to NOSM, but thought maybe someone here could help me. I too will have boarders. Curious_P, did you come up with a lease yet? I will start looking for one for my tenants, and if I find/come up with anything I will let you know. I wasn't going to worry about it because I heard that they were hard to enforce anyways, but I am starting to reconsider.

Meg

Archived