Premed 101 Forums

Supplemental Health Insurance Plan?

Hey guys,

Was just wondering if the meds are covered by any health insurance plan? As a grad student at Toronto, we had some supplemental coverage for vision/dental/drugs/physio, etc. Anybody know? Just curious to see if I can continue getting my ankle rehabbed at a substantial discount...

Thanks!

Yes, we're covered by the AMS Health Plan, same as all the other undergrad students. This gives supplemental vision, dental, physio, drug, etc. coverage, although I didn't find the vision and physio that astounding. Physio is covered for $25 a visit, up to $400 max a year, I think. Vision is covered for $50(?) a visit every two years and $75 for a pair of glasses every two years. Dental is covered at 70% of the provincially set fee schedule. I think there are specific dentists/physios/optometrists that you can go to that will give you an additional discount. This info can be found at http://myams.org, although the site was down at the time I wrote this post.

Hey Cary!

The undergrads and medical school students use the same plan, so I know a bit about it since I did my undergrad at Queen's.

While we are covered by the AMS health and dental plans, I personally haven't found them to be worth the money because the coverage isn't that great. It's something like $250 - $300 to opt into the plan/year. I think that if you are still covered under your parents' plan (under the age of 25 and in full-time studies) the extra money paid to the AMS for the supplemental plan isn't really worth it. You can easily opt out of the AMS plans by sending them proof of coverage under your parents and get your money back.

Archived