Premed 101 Forums

Considering applying to MD or MD/PhD

I have graduate experience under my belt and currently working on a second degree to boost my grades up and apply to Western. They state on their website that those with grad backgrounds should make inquires about the MD/PhD program.

What I am wondering is whether applying to this program means that if I get accepted to the MD program and not the PhD (vice versa), I will be able to still start the MD/PhD program or is my application thrown in the garbage? I am trying to see whether it is worth applying to this or the MD program alone. Thanks.

An application to the MD/PhD program requires an application to the MD program through OMSAS. If you are competitive for the MD/PhD program, your interviews will be earlier but you will be interviewed by both MD and MD/PhD committees. You need to be accepted by both to get accepted to MD/PhD. If you are rejected by MD/PhD, but were accepted by MD, you can join the MD-only stream.

For Western, your acceptance into the MD/PhD program is dependent only on your interview with the MD/PhD committee. This means you will be evaluated for your suitability to enter both medicine and graduate studies in one interview.

You will find out if you have been accepted to the MD/PhD program before your scheduled interview for the MD program. If you don't get into the MD/PhD program, you can still interview independently for the MD program.

The two interviews do not affect each other.

Archived