Premed 101 Forums

Relationships during clerkship

So I've gathered that clerkship is difficult, requires long hours and can be quite draining. What I'm wondering is...How does that affect your relationship with a significant other? Is it difficult to stay in/maintain a healthy relationship? Is your signficant other resentful?

Hey Lucky,

It really depends on how much effort you put into the relationship. My girlfriend and I are both clerks, at different universities, in different towns (225km apart), but we still manage to see each other almost every weekend (almost, because once in a while we're both on call the same weekend, but other than that, we're pretty much always together). I do know people however that barely see each other, and live in the same town. It really depends on the effort you're willing to put in. Personally, I pull long shifts and study hard during the week, and spend time relaxing on weekends, which is perfect for me. I like medicine, but I also need a bit of time each week to just get away from it all and do other stuff. But that's just my two cents.

Max

Archived