Premed 101 Forums

Applying for 2004?

Guest turtle

Guest turtle

Hello

I am new to the site and thought I would post and say "HI". I've been browsing around the threads and there seems to be a lot of great information (and helpful people) here. I am currently putting together my app for 2004 entry and would love to hear from others who are doing the same!

*turtle*:rollin

Guest MayFlower1

Turtle,

Welcome to the boards! Yes, they are an amazing resource...and a great time waster too! Yes, I too am going to be reapplying for 2004 entry. This will be my third and final time...I guess I'm employing the baseball analogy...you know, three strikes...I've had interviews two years in a row...other than a marginal GPA (3.73) it must be something to do with my age or my interview...I can't seem to quite nail it down...

Good luck to you and welcome once again.

Peter

Guest Never2Late

Kind of off topic here.... and probably none of my business... but I'm just curious.

Just wondering Peter - how "YOUNG" are you? I'm sure you must have mentioned your age somewhere along the way - but I've missed it.

And you've only applied to one school, correct?

It does seem that several people get in only after having a couple of years worth of applying behind them. I have good faith (and a good gut feeling) that next year will be your year!

Guest turtle

Hi Peter (and everyone else...thanks for the greetings!)

Reading your post has me all worried now! This will be my first time applying, and my overall undergrad GPA is not even close to your "marginal" 3.73...due to a very unfortunate 3rd-year (very long, unhappy story) my overall is at only 3.51. :( I'm super grateful for UofT's method of GPA calculation though, which should bring me up to around 3.76 for them (I think...it's been a while since I did the math). I am also going into my 2nd year of Grad Studies now (MSc in Epidemiology) so my grades for my graduate courses won't count (since the whole degree will not be complete by Oct), but hopefully having that experience will at least help...

Where is it that you applied before? Hopefully your experience with the process will pay off...Good luck!

turtle

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there turtle,

It's always great to meet another Epi student! Where are you completing your M.Sc.? UofT? Ottawa? McGill? UBC? :)

As to grad courses, I'm assuming that you completed your Epi courses last year and that you'll be primarily working on your thesis this year? If so, then depending on which schools you are applying to, the graduate grades will count. For example, at U. Ottawa they will if you are an out-of-Ottawa applicant, and they definitely will at some schools out west such as UBC and Calgary, if you're planning on applying there.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest turtle

Hi Kirsteen

So you are in Epi too! (Or you were?) I am doing my MSc at the University of Ottawa. (I did my undergrad in Molecular Genetics at U of T.) Yep, I finished the coursework last year...seven courses over 2 semesters...pretty heavy for a graduate program (well, relative to my friends in basic sciences who only have to take between 1-3 courses), but I definitely learned a lot and MOST of them were interesting...haha...I will be nice and not mention which ones completely sucked. I am busy now working as an RA on a project about HIV/AIDS-related stigma & access to health services and starting my thesis on public understanding and perceptions of genetics.

What about you? Where do you (did you) go? What area are you studying?

turtle

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again turtle,

Sounds like the UofO epi experience--course-wise at least--matches that of the UofT experience. We need 8 courses to complete our degree and yep, some were better than others! ;)

Like you, I'm in second year and tackling the thesis. Woo! Mine is a retrospective cohort study of clinical outcomes (survival experience of patients with arteriovenous malformations who receive either embolization therapy alone, or in conjunction with radiosurgery) using a quasi-experimental design (propensity scores). Yags, what a mouthful. :)

Good to "meet" you and best of luck with the upcoming year!

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nikhila

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board as well and will be applying for 2004 entry. My GPA according to most of the Ontario schools respective calculation methods is 3.79. I wonder if this is even enough to get an interview. University of Ottawa is my first choice, I'm almost done my sketch but I tell ya it is such a @#%$ having to make sure you're descriptions are only 150 characters (and that includes spaces)! This is my first year applying. I am starting my masters at the University of Toronto this september, it will be my M.Sc in genetic counselling. Well I better get to bed, I've got lots of studying to do for the MCAT this saturday!

This board is terrific, I truly wish everyone the best of luck in their application endeavours and I hope I can be of some help to you between now and October 15th :)

Bye for now,

Nikhila

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Nikhila!

A wee caveat: is the Genetic Counseling Masters at UT still a two-year program? If so, be careful. Some med schools don't really give you the time of day until you're in the final throes of a graduate program, or others will ask that you request a deferral, e.g., UBC, in advance, to accompany your application. :rolleyes

Cheers and good luck with your degree,

Kirsteen

Guest Nikhila

Hey Kirsteen,

Yeah, the M.Sc in genetic counselling is still 2 years, thanks for the heads up, the thought had crossed my mind. Is this your first time applying as well?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Nikhila,

Ah, nope, this certainly isn't my first time at the application ball! (I'm on my fourth go, but my application looks different each year, thank the lawd!)

Cheers, and good luck this year,

Kirsteen

Guest ioncannon97

Hi everyone, nice to meet so many of you that are applying this year. By the way, anybody applying that's not in grad studies (Based on the responses on this thread, its seeming like that is a prereq for ontario meds)? Anyways, im entering third year of undergrad at the University of Saskatchewan. i will be applying to my own university as well as all five ontario schools this year. Good luck to all.

Archived