Premed 101 Forums

Another "What are my Chances?"

Hey guys,

I know this must sound repetitive, I am applying to all Ontario schools except Ottawa and I was wondering if you guys could tell me realistically, what my chances are?

GPA in years: 1- 3.08

2- 3.37

3- 3.70

4- ?.??

MCAT: 10P,10V,11B,R= 31R

Work: Had 3 jobs at 2 places (one was a promotion)

Highschool: Regular+ a Different language school that gave me credits (sweet)

Volunteering: tutoring Kids, hospital, coaching soccer

EC: involved in a club (3 things in sketch), dance lessons,

Research: volunteering in a lab (research or volunteer, what do i put it under?)

Other: travelled all of florida, europe, and I garden

Awards: CPR and Deans honour list

I think you have a real shot at Western, I'm pretty sure they give you an interview with one year 3.70 (which you have, and your MCAT meets their previous cutoffs) so you just have to make sure you get at least 3.70 this year too. You should definately apply even if it's just for the chance of an interview, interview experience is great.

I dunno about the other schools... poss U of T, maybe Mac, I'm not sure about Queens (cut off is 3.68, or 3.78 2 year, and I don't think they count your current year) so maybe leave that one out too. But hey it's only another $75, why not give it a shot too.

Toronto: depending on if you qualify for the formula, and by how much your gpa will improve, i'd say chances are quite low... write an amazing essay and you *may* stand a chance

Queens: you're making a donation to the school, don't bother

Mac: heh... who knows? it all hinges on your answer to their 5 questions... again it's got to be extrordinary to stand a chance b/c your gpa isn't helping you much (but then again it's also not factored in for much either)

Western: you've already gotten an interview, and provided you can get another 3.7 (or come up with good excuses as to why you didn't get a 3.7 in 4th year) you could get accepted if your interview goes well.

good luck!

Hey guys,

I know this must sound repetitive, I am applying to all Ontario schools except Ottawa and I was wondering if you guys could tell me realistically, what my chances are?

GPA in years: 1- 3.08

2- 3.37

3- 3.70

4- ?.??

MCAT: 10P,10V,11B,R= 31R

Work: Had 3 jobs at 2 places (one was a promotion)

Highschool: Regular+ a Different language school that gave me credits (sweet)

Volunteering: tutoring Kids, hospital, coaching soccer

EC: involved in a club (3 things in sketch), dance lessons,

Research: volunteering in a lab (research or volunteer, what do i put it under?)

Other: travelled all of florida, europe, and I garden

Awards: CPR and Deans honour list

I was going to say don't bother, but damn... that gardening is gonna hit 'em pretty hard.

:) Seriously though, as long as Western's cutoffs don't go up (I hope they don't, or I'm screwed too, I have a year right at 3.70), you have an interview there. I applied and got an interview at Western last year with my first year at 3.70, and a 32Q on the MCAT. My interview went okay I guess (Could've definitely gone better), but the experience was pretty valuable.

Go for Western, keep your GPA up this year, and improve for next year if you don't get in this year (like me).

lol,,,i wasn't gonna put gardening, but I've read people put more ridiculous things, also on extra-curricular, im putting "created first clubs scholarship" but thats still in the works...

Thanks for the advice guys, I won't apply to Queens. Superking, at my work, one of the doctors (from western) that comes in whose involved with the whole administration part said it would/should be easier this year just because of the increase load they are taking in. So stay positive.

Superking, you mind saying "what could have gone better?"

Well, when I interviewed last year, I didn't have many very inspiring volunteer experiences, so when they asked me about myself, had I had more neat experiences (like I hopefully do this year :D), I could've sold myself more.

To me, it seems hard to imagine someone really acing the interview. Someone on here said before, that there is about a top 10%, a bottom 10%, and everyone is basically in the middle. I just feel like I was in the middle, and with my first year of undergrad at 3.70, and not done fourth year, and with a 32Q, I felt like I needed to be a top interviewee to have a chance.

However, I finished fourth year with a 3.77, so now I'm up at least a little, and I've started on some good volunteer and EC experiences in the last year (joined a crisis society, answering crisis and suicide phone lines, organizing a campus-wide blood drive this school year, starting a pre-med club at school, shadowing in the ER, etc.!) so maybe I'll get in.

Also, I hope this year I get an interview in province at UBC!

Archived