Premed 101 Forums

How is GPA converted to % scale?

Usually the UofS will look at your transcript letters (A's, B's etc.) and have a % conversion scale for each but this is also dependent on which university you go to since different institutions might treat a certain letter grade differently than others. You can search this forum to find out if someone has posted a conversion scale for your school's letter grade conversion. The one for my school (BU), and for a majority of schools including dalhousie and mcmaster is the following:

A+ 95%

A 88%

A- 82%

B+ 78%

B 75%

B- 72%

C+ 68%

C 65%

C- 62%

D+ 58%

D 55%

D- 52%

If you can't find your school in this forum just email admissions (as i did) and they'll respond shortly ...

Aranndil, I still think you should apply. The applicant pool is different every year, and last year was the double cohort for Ontario students so they probably got more applicants (haven't seen the stats yet). If you're just under 91, apply (it's also a very easy application!!!).

just curious about the saskatchewan process. I would be an OOP applicant, with the g.p.a for the best two years, not entirely sure how it is converted with sask but from ottawa by best two are (11A+, 8A's, 1A- and 1 B+). Now from what I see from the admission website the mcat is just used as a pass/fail... is the mcat cutoff listed for everyone or is it higher for OOP? thanks.

just curious about the saskatchewan process. I would be an OOP applicant, with the g.p.a for the best two years, not entirely sure how it is converted with sask but from ottawa by best two are (11A+, 8A's, 1A- and 1 B+). Now from what I see from the admission website the mcat is just used as a pass/fail... is the mcat cutoff listed for everyone or is it higher for OOP? thanks.

i think the cut-off is the same for OOP but they're so low that most OOP applying have above them anyways. it bascially just comes down to getting over the % cut-off. assuming you'll have the above grade conversion you'll have a 90.9% ... same as me (10A+, 8A, 2A-) but i think we both have a decent shot since the cut-off is usually lower except last year (91%) and i'm hoping the double cohort played some effect and that they'll drop the cut-off a bit ...

They don't total all grades in your best two years and then average them. It's the average of each of the two years. So if you've got 90 in one year, 92 in the next, obviously 91 average. You guys are confusing me and I'm already in :P (sorry if this is redundant :))

They don't total all grades in your best two years and then average them. It's the average of each of the two years. So if you've got 90 in one year, 92 in the next, obviously 91 average. You guys are confusing me and I'm already in :P (sorry if this is redundant :))

um, average all grades (2 years) vs. average of each of 2 years is the same thing. ie. (A+B+C+D+E+F)/6 = [ (A+B+C)/3 +(D+E+F)/3 ] /2

unless you've taken more subjects in one year vs. the other ... I'm assuming a full courseload in both

does anyone know how they treat UBC grades. UBC reports grades in percent so do they just take the average of our grades or do they use the letter grades and then convert them to their scale for average?

I only have 87 average too for best two years but still might give it a shot and hope for some luck lol

Archived