Premed 101 Forums

Emerg. salaries

Elusive

After much online searching, and eventually asking practicing physicians what an emergency doc earns, I have been unable to come up with an answer (emerg. docs i asked didn't wish to disclose this information). Not to sound like I'm going into emerg. for the money, but I'm painfully aware of the fact I will be well into 6 figures of debt by time I finish med school.

Does anyone know what the typical emerg. salary/earnings are?

Does it differ between working in a smaller community hospital or larger center like VGH?

thanks...

actually in Manitoba they renegotiated the ER contracts a couple of months ago and the article they sent us in the mail reads as follows:

Average annual full time salary at a teaching hospital: $275,000 with a possibility of a $30,000 bonus

Community hospital ER hourly wages:

weekday daytime: $113.64

weekday evening and weekend days: $159.09

weekend evening: $170.45

overnight shift: $181.82

The article cites the average ER doctor in Manitoba now makes about $300,000 per year. It also states 'Manitoba ER doctors will be among the highest paid in the country.'

You can probably locate the full article if you google the newspaper, 'The Winnipeg Free Press', article dated June 28, 2007, titled "New contract likely to help retain ER doctors"

I'm not sure, i think the teaching hospital salary is based on frcpc docs, and the hourly wage in community hospitals applies to both, because the article also made mention of docs flocking to community hospitals after this agreement and all the shifts in the summer getting filled up as a result

Archived