Premed 101 Forums

Bursaries without OSAP?

I spoke to the financial advisor, and she said that there are a few entrance scholarships that are unrelated to financial need, and those who do not qualify (or apply) for OSAP are considered. However, for any bursary or scholarship that requires recipients to demonstrate financial need (most of the bursaries and scholarships have this stipulation), they assess your need based on your eligibility for OSAP. She said that if you do not apply or qualify for OSAP, you won't qualify for any of these bursaries or scholarships.

Hope that helps

Thanks. two questions:

1. do you know what these entrance scholarships are based on (i.e. marks)?

2. I heard that you can apply but not qualify for OSAP and still be considered for bursaries. Do you know if this is the case?

I believe the bursaries are based on marks (those without applications). However, the ones with applications probably look at some community involvement. Also a lot of the scholarships are specific to the applicant; for example, aboriginal students, students with a chemistry degree, etc. Look on the website for more information.

If you apply to OSAP and don't qualify for support, then you don't demonstrate financial need. U of T uses OSAP qualification as their test of financial need. If you don't qualify for OSAP, you don't qualify for the financial need-requiring bursaries.

Archived