Premed 101 Forums

Applying in First year of Masters

Hi there, is there anyone out there who has been accepted to U of T while being in their first year of an M.sc? From what I understand, U of T doesn't consider applicants who are in their first year of their masters because they don't defer for masters and don't want to encourage students to leave their masters. However, I don't see what the problem would be if the professor has agreed to take a student understanding they are applying to medicine and are OK if they were to leave after the first year. It doesn't seem to make sense that if a student who finished their honours undergrad degree takes a year to work and applies, they would be an undergrad applicant, but if they decide to pursue higher education, has to wait an extra year till they complete their masters. I believe U of T is the only school that takes this stance, does anybody have any perspectives or comments? Thanks very much! take care

Hey there, thanks for the response! I like your points, they are very valid. However, one thing I think I should clear up is that I don't expect any additional consideration for being one month into a masters. However, I would expect that an applicant have the opportunity to be evaluated based on their undergraduate degree while in the first year of their masters. The reality is that a person in their first yr of masters wont get evaluated at all! (U of T) So really, if I didn't make the cutoffs to apply in my 4th yr (cause I needed to kill 4th yr marks before i made it), i get no opportunity to apply UNLESS I decided NOT to pursue the masters. If I do pursue it, I'm out of luck for that yr. I know university of Ottawa and Western don't even consider you a grad student if you meet their undergrad requirements. They dont exclude you from the process if you are in the midst of a masters. Taken that into consideration, what do u think? (definetly not looking for graduate student advantage). Oh and just to repeat, there are professors who dont mind at all that you are applying to medicine, and have agreed to take you even though they know you may leave after one year. Perhaps they know how hard it is and probly think odds are youll be back :P

i was under the impression that all ontario (and for that matter all canadian) schools require that you defend your thesis before beginning medical school. I'm in a similar position where I am applying after my 4th year and have chosen not to go the masters route specifically because I cannot apply to medical school should I register for a masters. It's not that I would never consider doing grad school (in fact I will go that route if I don't get in this year) but I wanted to take another shot at medical school before making a comitment to doing grad.

Hey Dante, all the ontario schools require you to defend your thesis by the beginning of medical school if and only if they accept you as a graduate student. University of Ottawa for example does not even look at your grad work if you make the cutoffs for their ungergrad requirements, hence you dont have to defend your masters because your accepted on undergrad merits (i.e. you dont need to send in a graduate package). Mcmaster will evaluate you on your undergrad despite being in a masters, same with queens and western. U of T is the only school. Not doing a masters is an option, however, a lot more doors open up upon completion of a masters. Its just weird that there is actually a negative to pursuing higher education! For the one year that you are in between, I don't think you should be excluded, but evaluated on your already accomplished merits. I think getting a letter from the professor is a reasonable suggestion, thanks for that. any other thoughts?

Archived