Premed 101 Forums

In Province Requirements

Not to sure why you would think it is rediculous. If you think academics is all that makes a good physician then you are sadly mistaken. If you can maintain a 78% average then you can most certainly get through med school. I would much rather have the student with 78% average and excellent communication and interpersonal skills than have to deal with the person with a 97% average and no personality and an attitude.

The best clinical clerks I have had the opportunity to teach are not always the "I got harrisons memorized" types, they usually are the individuals that have the ability to communicate with patients, other health care providers and families.

So I believe that is the reason for the "large" number of IP students get interviews. We want the best physicians, not the just the ones that memorize every textbook cover to cover.

that is quite a bit harsh kosmo, I mean saskatchewan does favor saskatchewan residents because lets face it, not to sound rude... saskatchewan residents are more likely to STAY in saskatchewan... if you are from bc or ontario and get into saskatchewan if you say you would want to live there for the rest of your life people would laugh at you. it is sorta like how in wayne's world they do that skit " hello, I'm in Delaware "

also not all people that get high marks just memorize everything contrary to what you may believe, there are very very well rounded individuals that have mcat scores and gpas in the top percentiles. That being said having a 78% vs someone in the 90's or 80's doesn't mean they can communicate better that isn't very convincing.

for you wanting the best physicians again well... have many people gotten on your case about this same topic because it seems you are very passionate about it.

good luck in the future. just don't let your head get too big

Not trying to be harsh, just defending a smart decision (to interview more applicants than just a select few knowing that the difference between a 78% and 90% really isn't that important) after that policy was called rediculous. I would argue the initial post was harsh.

I do agree with you that there are many individuals that are very well rounded suitable applicants to medicine with high averages. I will also tell you that when you get a chance to sit on the other side of the fence during the interview you will see that there are quite a few that make you cringe. What I was trying to point out was that why exclude the candidate that has a 78/79/80/81 (knowing that academically they will most likely do as well as the person with the 90% average) when they could very well be a superior candidate to others with higher average. It would seem obvious to me that the bigger pool of applicants you interview the more selective you can be, and hopefully get the most suitable people.

Why do you say 78% is too low anyway? Western's best 2 year cutoff is 3.7, which is only 80%, and Queen's cumulative is 3.68 (granted, their 2 year is 3.78, but that's not that much higher). OMSAS's scale isn't linear, so GPA's totally distort grades. There really isn't much of a difference between 78% and 80%, except on OMSAS's scale.

For the record, OOP admissions for U of S are probably the highest in the country. They only admit 6 every year, but the cutoff for interviews this year was 91%!

So the standards aren't lower, they're just different. Because they get fewer applicants than, say, the Ontario schools or UBC, they're able to interview a huge proportion of those who apply, not just those with 90% averages. As Kosmo said, there's more to being a good physician than a 90% average.

Why do you say 78% is too low anyway? Western's best 2 year cutoff is 3.7, which is only 80%, and Queen's cumulative is 3.68 (granted, their 2 year is 3.78, but that's not that much higher). OMSAS's scale isn't linear, so GPA's totally distort grades

mind you western and queens has an mcat cutoff about 6 points higher with a higher writing sample, which is very significant.

Archived