Premed 101 Forums

Weighted GPA question

Guest begaster

Guest begaster

All right, second year I took eight credits as opposed to the given ten. This means I won't get any boost on my GPA, which means it'll be a 3.72 as opposed to a 3.8 (if they had dropped my two lowest marks, as I originally believed they would).

Still, they say that they'll take special considerations under account. I was enrolled in a full-year course for about three quarters of the year, until the very last drop date, when I realized I wanted to change majors (I was in physics, decided I hated it and moved to Psych). If I had known about U of T's policy back then, I would have kept the class and it would have been removed as one of my three either way. Damn.

Think I should bother trying to write a letter and argue my case? Or is it an absolute lost cause?

I would definitely ask for consideration if I were you. I was in the same boat last year, and they applied the full weighting forumla for me. You should be rewarded for taking a full course load each year because you (basically) did and would have (completely) if it had not been for your change in major. Its not greedy.

Guest begaster

Really?

That's an absolutely massive relief to hear that someone was in the same boat as me. What kind of documentation did you have to provide (is there even documentation for a dropped class?)?

Thanks! You've made my day. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I would definitely ask for consideration if I were you. I was in the same boat last year, and they applied the full weighting forumla for me. You should be rewarded for taking a full course load each year because you (basically) did and would have (completely) if it had not been for your change in major. Its not greedy.

how did you know you were given the full formula? Their website clearly states that no decision will be released... or are you assuming that you got it because you got in?

I'm confused. I thought that if you take 4 years with a full course load each year they drop 8 lowest half courses from your academic record. Maybe I'm reading wrong, but it seems that some people are saying that if you take 3years with a full course load, and 1 year with less than a full load, then the weighting will be applied to the 3 years with the full course load but not that 1 year with less than a full load??? From what I read on the UofT website, I thought that if you didn't take a full course in ANY year, then you are not eligible for the weighting formula at all. I took a full loads in 3 years, and dropped 1 class so I had 9 classes in 1 year. So I'm not sure I'll get the weighting. I had no idea about med school criteria back then!!

Guest begaster

You're only applying with three years worth of marks if you apply during your fourth year. They take off two credits worth of your lowest marks per year (two half-year courses or a full year course), so if you apply during fourth, they'll take off six credits worth. If you do a victory lap, they'll remove eight credits from your four years worth of classes.

If you've ever had a year without a full 10 credits, you get nothing taken off.

Archived