Premed 101 Forums

General Science vs. Four-year Major

I'm wondering if what degree is pursued has any bearing on acceptance to Manitoba. I am thinking of doing Zoology, but a couple of friends suggested a 3 year general science degree over four years to boost the GPA. Is there any way this route could be held against an applicant, or is the solitary AGPA number, regardless of how it was attained, all that matters in the "grades" part of admission? Is there any part of the admission score other than interview where this can be held against me? Thanks.

Sorry if this is a repost or something, I was at a loss as to what terms I should search for.

Section 1.3 from the Bulletin: Applicants must have completed at least 18 credit hours in the humanities/social sciences. Applicants who complete a 4 Year Major or Honours program may waive up to 12 credit hours of the humanities/social sciences prerequisite. Applicants with a BSc (General) or BA (General) must complete the full requirement. The Faculty of Arts describes the recognized subject fields for humanity and social science requirements in section 5.1.1 of the Undergraduate Calendar.

This is definitely something you can take into consideration. The route you take is up to you. Remember though that if your basket weaving courses turn out to be rocket science and your GPA slips, and/or your MCAT is low such that you can't gain entry to med school, you will have a very large problem and disadvantage when trying to find employment.

In my opinion it is saving my ass now that I majored, because I got waitlisted and not in this year, so at least I was able to find employment, which even turned out to be very difficult with a major. I will apply in the future, and if unsuccessful again, at least I'll have my employment to build off of.

The AGPA is calculated regardless of what you take, however the biochemistries are always going to be used in the calculation.

be able to get a three year general on your way to getting a major or honors then apply for after third year and if you dont get in u can just finish your degree and apply again. it gives you another year of something to do if you dont get in and another year to apply without figuring what to do next

• 2 weeks later...

I asked admissions if it makes a difference what kind of degree you get (ie if I would benefit from some kinda major or honours degree vs just a B.Sc. general) and they said there's no difference. I have the 3yr and I am currently extending and for U of M they wouldnt care if you extended to a Major degree or just took random courses. They just drop more low marks the more courses you take (up to 120 I believe).

Archived