Premed 101 Forums

I have a 3.91 GPA but an 8 in Verbal. Should I apply?

I am very undecided about whether or not I should apply. I have a 3.91 CGPA, after eliminating the lowest ones. For MCAT, I got 30Q, but only a 8 on VR. Would I still have a chance at this? It's a lot of money to just apply. If I don't have good chances with these marks, then I don't want to waste the money.

If it provides some guidance, from a purely financial perspective,

Suppose that you have a 5% chance of gaining entry, which is a bit below what the average applicant would have. You may still have a chance with a VR 8.

Suppose that a year's worth of income practicing as a doctor for the one additional year that you may practice is $150,000.

Suppose the cost of the application if you apply to just U of T is $200.

$150,000 * 0.05 = $7,500

If you apply and don't get in, you're down just $200 + whatever you may spend on travelling to the interview + your time completing the application.

It's not a bad deal.

Hello,

Converse to what I wrote in this thread, if people with 7's can gain entry, then I think that you stand a chance with an 8. I'm aware of people with 8's who have gained entry, though like the other posters wrote, people who do have a flagged MCAT tend to have strong applications in other areas.

Your GPA is competitive, so it's just a matter of putting together the best application you can and hoping for the best.

Good luck!

For Toronto, FOR SURE APPLY. Queens and Western would be a different story though.

Yeah. I'm still debating about Queens and Western. I guess they might just toss my application once they see the MCAT score. But most likely, I'm gonna give it a shot anyways. Who knows...maybe there'll be a miracle. :rolleyes:

Archived