Premed 101 Forums

cARMS reference Letter in 2nd Year?

Talon01

Greetings!

Lets say a physician in the field you are interested in said they were willing to write you a reference letter for CaRMS after you complete a summer elective. Does one need to wait until they are eligible to sign up for a CaRMS 'account' to print off a package for said physician or does the physician write a letter for me which I hold onto until I apply through CaRMS or does physician send letter to CaRMS which holds onto it for the next year or so or......?

Thanks in advance!

So the reference sends the letter straight to cARMS (doesn't just give it to you)? But the reference DOES need some cARMS application package before it can be sent it?

Hi there,

Yes, reference letter writers do need to quote a code that you assign to your letter within e-CaRMS so that the CaRMS folks can match the letter to your file once they actually receive it. CaRMS will accept documents such as letters in advance, but not this far advance, i.e., they won't accept documents until the year of your application cycle.

Your best bet, as ffp mentioned above, is to have the writer write the letter now and ask them to save it on their computer until when you can generate the appropriate CaRMS documentation to support the letter's receipt. At that time, you can then ask them to send the letter.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived